Get the DAN insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good news my wife is out of the hospital. She needs to go back tomorrow morning for a follow up, but she's looking good and feeling good. Thanks again to everyone for their kind thoughts and support.

Great news!

Great to hear that she's out of the hospital. With 3 treatments she should not have residual effects going forward! How long did they indicate she should stay out of the water before diving again?

My wife was admitted to the International Hospital here in Cozumel last night with cutaneous DCS. She spent 5 hrs in the chamber last night doing USN Table 6, and will be repeating Table 6 shortly. The DAN insurance is covering everything. Disclaimer: My wife and I are not DAN employees nor are we affiliated with DAN. I can't imagine what this sort of treatment would cost without insurance, so my advice is to buy the DAN insurance.
I couldn't agree more! DAN is essential and I am not a DAN employee. I've had Dan, along with my wife, ever since I was certified 20 years ago.
We had a similar instance in Belize and fortunately not us but a young man in our party. They think he had an air embolism on his ascent and passed out during his safety stop. The crew knew exactly what to do and got him in the chamber within minutes. BUT, his mom claims to not have heard about DAN although every shop I've ever known strongly recommends DAN before every trip. Fortunately the kid came out without issue but it was costly.
Another friend of ours had several instances of "skin bends" showing up in the form of a skin rash. No chamber was necessary but when he returned home he went to a "dive doctor" who found a heart issue causing him to not exchange oxygen as he should. He's still diving but only shallow depths and dives on nitrox with computer set on air.
I certainly hope your wife is recovering well.

We did a little trip for a dive incident to International Hospital for the missus. No chamber rides, just some pulmonary edema and about a 24 visit. I don't know if it will ever get to DAN. Blue Cross and International are still sending stuff back and forth from August. I think they might not even get to use DAN, but it feels good knowing it is there.

When my wife went in for a follow up visit today she told them her hands were swollen and she can't wear her wedding ring; that triggered another Table 9 treatment. She has to go back tomorrow for another eval....

We were diving in Cozumel about 3 years ago when a woman diver had an odd rash after 2-3 days of 2-tank dives. She went to the hospital next to Tres Pelicanos, and ended up having 3 chamber rides over 3 days before everyone was satisfied with her condition.

I spent 5 days in May 2017 at the International hospital with 11 chamber rides ( Type 2 DCS) The ambulance picked me up at the Aldora pier and they took me to International. I had severe pains in my sides and lost feeling in my legs. They did extensive evaluation and 2 Table 6 rides on day one. The remaining days were 2/ 3 table rides. They tested me for pfo, (did not have). I had to use a walker. Everyday there were evaluations of my mobility with videos of my progress. After 7 rides, I needed approval from Dan to continue. They insisted I go to Dr. Dario Gomez to confirm my progress. He said I absolutely needed more treatment.. I was released after 5 days, but went back for 3 shorter rides as an outpatient.No diving for 6 months and approval needed from a physican.
Our insurance was through Medicare United Health Care PLAN F. Plan F covers issues when you are out of the US. Our insurance picked up $44,000 and Dan covered the remaining costs. Your primary insurance is the first to be paid. If you travel out of the country frequently, you should check your policy coverage

The hospital and staff were amazing. My room was on ocean view and lunch and dinner were ordered from Rock N Java.

We go to Cozumel for 5 weeks twice a year. After finding it almost impossible to find a Dan physician in Southern California I decided the smart thing to do was be evaluated by the docs that treated me and were familiar with my case. Dr Eduardo Garcia ( the head of the hospital) was my primary physcician.. He tested and approved my return to diving with some guidance:
1. Dive every other day
2. Limit depths to 70/80 feet
3 Dive nitrox
4. Surface Intervals of at least 60 minutes

I was supposed to meet with Dr. Garcia on Oct 24 and dive on the 25th. An emergency, caused Dr. Garcia to postpone until the 25th. What I didn't know until everyone came back from diving, was that I missed was a GREAT PARTY for me. Jeanie at 3 Ps had reserved a larger boat for all of our friends that were on island. Cake, ceviche, and more for the surface interval.

I resumed diving on Oct 5 with absolutely no trepidation ( we have been diving since 1979)

The international hospital was FANTASTIC. If you have to get bent, Cozumel is the place to be.!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom