End of 2018 and plans for 2019?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2018 was great for me :) I finally got back to teaching and introducing people to the wonderful underwater world. Albeit part-time as I also started my own business this year (in a completely different field).

So for my 2018 part-time dive career :D I logged around 100 dives and certified around 30 students.
I got my first Dry Suit and have logged 28 dives with it already. Still getting used to it in all situations, but loving it so far.
I tried a BP+W for the first time and loved it. See 2019 plans.. :)
I had 2 amazing trips with our dive school and clients to Mozambique. Every one of them seemed to enjoy this, as did we :) The diving was epic.
Dived Marico Oog over two trips too.
Plenty quarry dives with students and clients.
Also finally got back to the chopper at our quarry dive site. We don't often go as it is deeper and we usually don't have accordingly certified divers with us. I hadn't been in around 4-5 years and managed to hit it spot on (it's not marked).
Dived in the UAE for the first time and made some awesome new friends :wink: :)

For 2019 I hope to dive even more and do some more dive trips.
I am keen to get my first BP+W and am also wanting to get Tec 40 done. This year it just didn't pan out.
Of course keep teaching diving :)

Funny old year, with no vacations. Looking at my ogs I still managed 105 fun dives and 82 teaching dives (not pool)

2019 brings another trip to Misool :D, I really should get my backside in gear and finish my Tech Instructor course, and maybe my IDC Staff- we'll see

The only definite resolution is to go dive with @RainPilot - There's no excuse we live close by. And to take out a one of his CCR's and see if I can break it (or me) - Best not take my wallet that day as I know otherwise I'll end up making another impulse purchase :wink:

Update Well I completely failed this year on last years objectives

Didn't finish Tech Instructor course ( not organised enough to fit it in)

Didn't get to dive a CCR, but I've spent many hours winding @RainPilot up over his, so I guess that counts

Still got a Komodo trip coming up in Dec - currently at 230 fun dives - so expect another 50 or so before year end, but not so many teaching as again it's been a funny old year.

Couldn't be bothered with IDC Staff - too busy. got a couple of offers to visit some friends at their respective centres so might combine a holiday with tuition

My prediction for 2020 is that it will start on Jan 1st and end on Dec 31st that's the limit of my guessing for next year :p

2019:
- will have completed 200+ dives split between shore dives, boat dives and LOBs
- got AN/DP qualified
- bought a twinset and deco tins and regs so I can fill and dive (train) when I want
- organized a tec dive club that came together quickly with all the right teammates
- watched the tec dive club fall apart just as quickly when the boat owner backed out to pursue an UW surveying contract with his government
- increased Dive Gear Express’ quarterly revenues by 4.7%

2020:
- complete normoxic and hypoxic Trimix training
- find a smaller, fast boat with a seasoned skipper that can get us to all the sites the big charters won’t go with their OW crowd
- reinvigorate the tec dive club
- dive in Egypt and Florida
- find an instructor in Florida so I can learn some advanced skills to expand my dive portfolio
- dive with my wife and daughter and be the happiest dive buddy at 12m, my daughter’s JOW limit
- buy a Ford Transit van and kit it out for diving and motorcycle track racing

Update Well I completely failed this year on last years objectives

Didn't finish Tech Instructor course ( not organised enough to fit it in)

Didn't get to dive a CCR, but I've spent many hours winding @RainPilot up over his, so I guess that counts

Still got a Komodo trip coming up in Dec - currently at 230 fun dives - so expect another 50 or so before year end, but not so many teaching as again it's been a funny old year.

Couldn't be bothered with IDC Staff - too busy. got a couple of offers to visit some friends at their respective centres so might combine a holiday with tuition

My prediction for 2020 is that it will start on Jan 1st and end on Dec 31st that's the limit of my guessing for next year :p

Nice of you to post a follow up!
Here was my stated plan for 2019:
Philippines for two weeks in April, Southern Channel Islands 5 day liveaboard, Bonaire in August, Porpoise Bay, Canada in October; Cozumel in December and lots of diving in the Puget Sound and Hood Canal in between dive trips.

Results: Did everything on the list with a few caveats-- Was only going to do 1 week in Bonaire in August and it turned into the whole month of August. Did not get to Porpoise Bay. Was going to do Cozumel in December, now going to do it next week for 8 days. Total dicves for the year will be 167.

I am sure someone will start a "plans for 2020" post before the end of the year- in the meantime, I plan on 2 weeks in Bonaire in January. I had a plan to go to the Red Sea in June, but our boat burned and sank, so I got my deposit back and am in the midst of making new plans for that timeframe. Initial thoughts are Fiji, Solomon Islands or back to the Philippines. Will throw in another week or 2 somewhere else out of the country in the fall, but haven't decided where yet. In between trips, I will always be shore and boat diving in the Puget Sound and I am planning to make my way at least once next year to Florida to dive in the Boynton, West Palm, Jupiter area.. and hopefully connect with @scubadada while there.

Back
Top Bottom