Am I progressing too fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hxtk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new open water diver interested in getting into technical diving. I see my first technical diving class as something a couple years away. At 30 dives with only an OW card, don't feel that I'm pulling a zero-to-hero or card collecting. At an average hard-bottom depth of 32ft across my dives, I don't think I'm exactly rushing into the deep. I had just a little bit of a head start compared to some because I had the good luck of taking OW from an instructor who placed heavy importance on proper weighting, buoyancy, trim, and generally not silting the place out, but I would not consider myself a particularly skilled diver for the amount of experience that I have.

However, there are a couple things where my views aren't exactly what some would consider kosher. I learned to shoot an smb and run a reel from the "take things slow and do lots of drills" school of dive training. I haven't violated the 60ft depth limit of OW but to be completely honest that has nothing to do with my lack of an AOW card and everything to do with wanting to refine my fundamental skills and form a stronger buddy team with my dive partner(s) prior to doing so.

I guess I'm somewhat of an internet diver in that there are academic topics in diving that I know way more about than I probably need to, especially around dive planning, because like being able to give a specific reason grounded in reality for why I dive the way I do.

All of this is building up to a recent conversation I had with a tech instructor. I was interested in taking GUE Fundamentals and learning how to use a drysuit this year. He referred me to an allegorical (but real) interview with someone who progressed far too quickly, ignoring the advice of his seniors right up until he awoke in a hospital having avoided death by sheer luck. The message was pretty clear: I'm going too fast and will end up as a statistic if I don't slow down.

I was skeptical. Me? Going too fast? No one had ever suggested such a thing before. I talked to a couple of more experienced divers I know (some with technical and/or DM training, but admittedly no instructors) and they seemed to agree with me that I'm not progressing at an unsafe rate, but I talk to them enough that it might've become a bit of an echo chamber, so I've come here seeking a third opinion. Do I appear to be diving recklessly, whether in general or in the specific case of trying to make the jump from OW to OW+Fundies+Drysuit in a year? If so, what can I do better? I'm willing to provide more details as needed to help answer that question; whether my current practice reflects it or not, I'd like to have a long diving career, free of near-death experiences :)

I don’t think there is a requirement for Fundies other than having a certification from another agency and being able to do the swimming test.

Can you clarify why he said that you are going too fast ? Was it in regards of you trying to do Fundies or something else ?

I was referred to a video of the interview to check out as homework and it'll be a while before I have the chance to talk to them again so unfortunately I don't know. They've never seen me dive, so it wouldn't be based on that; in fact I've turned them down before on an offer to take me to a 100ft site.

I was referred to a video of the interview to check out as homework and it'll be a while before I have the chance to talk to them again so unfortunately I don't know. They've never seen me dive, so it wouldn't be based on that; in fact I've turned them down before on an offer to take me to a 100ft site.

I've noticed with some instructors and experienced divers tend to think anyone who is excited and eager to dive and improve their skills are going 'too fast'. Going too fast can kill, so I think it might a general warning that's worth considering but I wouldn't have an accurate guess if in your personal dive progression if you're rushing.

A few decades and thousands of dives with a OW cert can make an incredibly skilled diver and someone satisfied in their hobby.

We all get to decide what way we want to enjoy this pastime. Some of us like training, some like equipment and some just like being underwater.

Dive and let dive,
Cameron

Here is the thing. You seem to have a grasp on understanding the concepts and diving in general. You have goals. That’s great! But the real thing is dive, dive often, and work on your skills Every single dive. Now that doesn’t mean you have to do every skill every dive. Just means work on things to be the most proficient diver you can be. Are you progressing too fast? Maybe, maybe not. That’s a personal and your own dive instructors opinion. There is nothing wrong with taking classes. However take time to master the skills of each class you take. Each class you complete just means you have achieved the bare minimum to earn the certification. By no means does it mean you are proficient at the skills. Just means you now can work on the skills without supervision. Each diver progresses at their own pace. Some divers are just naturally really good at buoyancy. However they may suffer in another area etc.get good at all of the basics before you get moving too fast. At 30 dives. For most.... I would say you are no where near ready for tech courses. Again, I have never seen you in the water.

On the flip side.... my own experience with an instructor on mine. He tried to hold my tech certs back. Extending the time and dives as to keep me from getting the certs. Come to find out.... he had failed his tech courses x2 before he finally got someone to sign him off on them. In the water.... I was and am better then he the instructor was at the skills. When after a year of being dragged through the courses and told how bad I was at the skills. Went to a well known and respected tech instructor completed my certs in 12 days not 12 months. He complimented my precision in my skills rather then being intimidated that I was good at the skills. My point being made here.... is research your instructor, find one that works well for you with quality instruction and feedback. Hone your skills and work to be the best you can be. Not a card collector or status diver. A good quality instructor in the water with you will give you good feedback ways to improve, and help you achieve your goals. One that knows you and your skill development will also keep you on course and at the right pace for you.

That's very reassuring to hear.

At 30 dives. For most.... I would say you are no where near ready for tech courses. Again, I have never seen you in the water.

Just to reiterate....

I'm a relatively new open water diver interested in getting into technical diving. I see my first technical diving class as something a couple years away.

By my estimation I am definitely nowhere near ready for anything involving real overhead, hard or soft. For now I'm only wondering if my experience level is enough to learn drysuit and take fundies!

So they’re telling you that you’re progressing too fast, while at the same time offering to take you on a 100’ dive without an AOW cert?

So they’re telling you that you’re progressing too fast, while at the same time offering to take you on a 100’ dive without an AOW cert?

In fairness, they are an instructor and are fully qualified to lead OW divers to that depth in the process of making them AOW divers. Frankly, though, I really shouldn't have mentioned that because even if it arguably makes them less of an authority, it doesn't make them any more or less correct.

As has been mentioned, it's hard to say whether you're progressing too fast. I like your approach in working on skills at shallow depths. Don't forget to practice the "24" pool skills occasionally (ie., reg retrieval, doff & don, OOA, etc.), not just perfecting basic stuff like buoyancy, types of finning, etc. (I think you probably do that already). Like many new divers, I really didn't practice the "pool" skills right after taking OW.
Fundies--I know nothing as it's not available here, and I can't give any tech. advice. I believe some go the Wreck and Cave penetration cert. route and then get into tech. I suppose the number of dives and depth progression over your 2 year plan may determine if you're going too fast or not. I took a bunch of courses in my first 2 years, including PADI Deep. Funny, now most of my dives now are at the depths you're doing.

In fairness, they are an instructor and are fully qualified to lead OW divers to that depth in the process of making them AOW divers. Frankly, though, I really shouldn't have mentioned that because even if it arguably makes them less of an authority, it doesn't make them any more or less correct.

Yes...they can take you to that depth during an AOW course. Per your admission...that’s not what they were talking about doing.

Just give some thought as to who you choose as a mentor. Personally...I’d pick someone with a similar risk aversion level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom