Get the DAN insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know about how much a medical evac would cost? I am thinking worst case, helicopter from live aboard to nearest airport/hospital than an Air Ambulance Aircraft to a country with hyperbaric chamber... Would 100k be enough?

I had a client air evac'ed from Grand Cayman to Florida back is the late 80's and it was $75,000.
I bet things have gone up since then. :)

I would say you need a minimum of $250,000 in coverage

My understanding is DAN will only pay for evacuation to nearest facilty that can treat (decompression chamber for example) your medical problem. They do not pay to get you home via medical air ambulance or to get you to a medical facility in US.

My understanding is DAN will only pay for evacuation to nearest facilty that can treat (decompression chamber for example) your medical problem. They do not pay to get you home via medical air ambulance or to get you to a medical facility in US.

That's a really important issue! DAN's most expensive plan (the Guardian Plan) includes $50,000 for evacuation home - and $50,000 for search and rescue that may (?) include the helicopter transport to the nearest medical center.

We only take DAN's mid-level plan (Preferred Plan) that doesn't include the costs of getting you home; but we also take out Trip Insurance that covers trip cancellation and medical care, and we add-on an upgrade for "emergency evacuation and repatriation" because I want to have some choices about where we get care - after the initial emergency care - and make sure that we get back home without needing to mortgage the house!

Happily we have never had to use it, but I feel better taking some precautions especially as we get older. See the link below for details about our recent travel insurance policy.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8507297/

I suffered a type 2 DCS accident in Cozumel this past August. I had the DAN Preferred Plan coverage. I had 8 chamber rides for my treatment. Prior to my last chamber treatment, I was informed (by the hospital staff) that DAN would probably deny coverage for this last treatment as they had done this numerous times before. This was typical of their coverage, even though I was well under the $250,000 dollar limit. Apparently, 7 treatments is DAN's limit, regardless of medical necessity. I appealed the decision but my appeal was denied. On the hook for $3000+ for the last treatment.

Yes, you are on the hook for search and rescue unless you get the guardian

Per DAN Handbook
"Emergency Evacuation means that, due to Medical Necessity, the Member or Covered Family Member requires immediate transportation from the place where such person has a medical emergency to the nearest appropriate medical faciity where appropriate medical treatment can be obtained.
Emergency Evacuation does not include efforts to locate an injured person whose location is unknown, or efforts to rescue such persons from a dangerous situation or a location inaccessible by emergency services personnel. Emergency Evacuation may begin only after the injured person is made available at a location which can be reached by emergency
medical services personnel.
Medical Necessity includes any situation where it is judged medically appropriate to move the Member to another location either for treatment or for a higher level of medical care. DAN TravelAssist will arrange details of the emergency evacuation, using the means best suited to do so, based on the seriousness of the Member’s condition, and these means may include air ambulance, surface ambulance, regular airplane, railroad or other appropriate means. All decisions as to the means of Transportation and final destination will be based solely upon medical factors.
Transportation means any land, water or air convey-
ance required to transport the Member or Covered Fam-
ily Member during an emergency evacuation or repa-
triation. Expenses for special transportation must be
recommended by the attending Physician in conjunc-
tion with DAN TravelAssist or required by the standard
regulation of the conveyance transporting the Member or Cov-
ered Family Member. Special transportation includes, but is
not limited to, an air ambulance, land ambulance, and private
motor vehicle. Expenses for medical supplies and services
must be recommended by both the attending Physician and
DAN TravelAssist.
Covered Expenses include any Transportation, medical
treatment, medical service, or medical supply that (1) is nec-
essarily incurred in connection with emergency evacuation or
repatriation of the Member or Covered Family Member; (2)
meets generally accepted standards of medical practice; and
(3) either is ordered by a Physician and performed under his
or her care or supervision or order, or is required by the stan-
dard regulations of the conveyance transporting the Mem-
ber or Covered Family Member. All transportation arrange-
ments made for evacuating or repatriating the Member or
Covered Family Member must be by the most direct
and economical conveyance, and arranged in advance
by DAN TravelAssist. Covered expenses do not include
amounts that are eligible for reimbursement under “Other
Medical Expense Insurance.”
DAN TravelAssist will not pay Transportation to transport the
Member or Covered Family Member to their place of per-
manent residence if there are closer medical facilities which
are capable of attending to the Member’s medical condition."

I suffered a type 2 DCS accident in Cozumel this past August. I had the DAN Preferred Plan coverage. I had 8 chamber rides for my treatment. Prior to my last chamber treatment, I was informed (by the hospital staff) that DAN would probably deny coverage for this last treatment as they had done this numerous times before. This was typical of their coverage, even though I was well under the $250,000 dollar limit. Apparently, 7 treatments is DAN's limit, regardless of medical necessity. I appealed the decision but my appeal was denied. On the hook for $3000+ for the last treatment.

Doesn't that imply DAN disagrees with the "medical necessity" of an 8th treatment? Did you contact DAN before the 8th treatment to discuss the situation?

Curious as to which chamber you were treated in? Did you not have primary cae insurance in addition to DAN?

What were symptoms on Day 6?

There actually IS a point at which the treatments are no longer effective. Once you are not making any noticeable improvements each day, then the treatment has been as effective as it is going to be at that point.That is typically about 4 - 5 treatments in DCS Type II except in very severe cases Paralysis, etc.). There has been abuse of "overtreating" patients by from certain facilities here and elsewhere in the Caribbean to bill out more claims, so DAN has strict protocols for approving and continuing treatment beyond the baseline max of 7 treatments. Dr. Dario Gomez is the only official DAN Dr on the island and is called (at least he is supposed to be called) to evaluate patients who need more than 7 treatments. He reviews the entire case and examines the patient to determine further treatment protocols.

I don't know if this information helps - I hope it does.

Curious as to which chamber you were treated in? Did you not have primary cae insurance in addition to DAN?

What were symptoms on Day 6?

There actually IS a point at which the treatments are no longer effective. Once you are not making any noticeable improvements each day, then the treatment has been as effective as it is going to be at that point.That is typically about 4 - 5 treatments in DCS Type II except in very severe cases Paralysis, etc.). There has been abuse of "overtreating" patients by from certain facilities here and elsewhere in the Caribbean to bill out more claims, so DAN has strict protocols for approving and continuing treatment beyond the baseline max of 7 treatments. Dr. Dario Gomez is the only official DAN Dr on the island and is called (at least he is supposed to be called) to evaluate patients who need more than 7 treatments. He reviews the entire case and examines the patient to determine further treatment protocols.

I don't know if this information helps - I hope it does.

Thanks, Christi!

My treatment was overseen by Dr Piccolo (I can't recall the name of the woman doctor who was my primary physician). His wife, Heidi, told me that DAN does not normally approve the 8th treatment. She told me to appeal and normally they would approve. At the time, I was still weak and had problems with my balance. In addition, my right hand was partially numb. No mention of Dr Gomez that I can remember. I was pretty bad off when I was admitted. I was told it was the worst case they had seen in a few years. I still have partial numbness in my hand.

IMO, I couldn't have asked for better treatment from the hospital staff, my doctor, Dr Piccolo and Heidi. Better treatment than I can ever remember receiving here in the states.

I also had Allianz Travel Insurance through my air carrier. They covered the last treatment. currently fighting DAN for my extra stay as well as needing to rebook my flight through another carrier.

Edit : I was partially paralyzed when I was admitted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom