Sotis vs. IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the above correct; that is is there any evidence of Stewart passing out / becoming incoherent?

I thought it was just Sotis who did that once back on the boat, and that Stewart simply ''disappeared" from the surface (without any confirmation / indication of anything being wrong) prior to getting back on the boat.
In a different lawsuit, the captain indicated that Stewart gave an OK, and then did not respond when told to grab the trail line less than 5 feet away. He remained unresponsive when told a second time. After that, the captain removed his eyes from Stewart to maneuver the vessel, and when he made a big loop with the boat, Stewart was no longer in sight.

In a different lawsuit, the captain indicated that Stewart gave an OK, and then did not respond when told to grab the trail line less than 5 feet away. He remained unresponsive when told a second time. After that, the captain removed his eyes from Stewart to maneuver the vessel, and when he made a big loop with the boat, Stewart was no longer in sight.
Page 102 of Exhibit B of Motion 84 of Stewart V Horizon, Video Deposition of Jeffery Knapp:
10 Q. Did you ever talk to David Wilkerson about
11 what happened when the divers surfaced?
12 A. When we surfaced at the end of the dive?
13 Q. When Robert Stewart and Peter Sotis
14 surfaced.
15 A. Yes.
16 Q. What was the substance of your
17 conversation with David Wilkerson about that?
18 A. That Rob surfaced with Peter, signaled
19 that they were okay. Peter got on the boat. He had
20 issues. Bobby went to help him, and he collapsed.
21 And that Rob was on the surface while they were
22 attending to Peter. Dave asked Rob to grab the
23 line, and he didn't. That's when he turned the boat
24 around, and Rob went missing.

Atttached is a copy of Wilkerson's statement to the sheriff's office. Wilkerson is the captain.

Attachments

• 84-3Wilkerson.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
In a different lawsuit, the captain indicated that Stewart gave an OK, and then did not respond when told to grab the trail line less than 5 feet away. He remained unresponsive when told a second time.
I believe this scenario is why rEvo requires the use of their "gag strap" in training. A loss of consciousness could result in a loss of loop out the mouth with subsequent flooding of the unit, loss of buoyancy and drowning. I also believe that this is a standard within IANTD and one of the major violations that led to Sotis' expulsion.

For instructors, this is a reminder that no matter how much you might disagree with them, you have to meet or exceed the standards of your training agencies. If you decide not to, then you open yourself to legal exposure and possible expulsion, especially if an accident should occur.

I believe this scenario is why rEvo requires the use of their "gag strap" in training. A loss of consciousness could result in a loss of loop out the mouth with subsequent flooding of the unit, loss of buoyancy and drowning. I also believe that this is a standard within IANTD and one of the major violations that led to Sotis' expulsion.

The recovery video posted (somewhere here) showed the loop still in Stewart's mouth. Are you sure Sortis was having students or that Stewart in particular had removed his gag strap? I didn't see the gag strap mentioned in any of the depositions at all.

I actually have one, it won't preclude flooding of the unit if you lose consciousness and then descend with your ADV off. Water will be forced around your lips anyway and the loop will still flood. They will keep the loop from falling out of your mouth and maintain a basically open airway during a seizure - which is their intended application.

First, thank you RainPilot and Wookie for clarification re the 'final surface moments' part of the accident (and Wookie for also posting the Captains statement verifying such).

Re the last sentence above (now underlined), although it is my understanding that Mr Sotis did not advocate the use of gag straps, nor require his students to use one, it is not mentioned as one of the Violations of Standards in Exhibit C (Sotis vs IANTD) for his / his facility disqualification. They (the violations) all seem to revolve around the non-completion - dives and paperwork - of the (hypoxic) trimix CCR course (which, upon rereading Exhibit C, answers my own question of several posts ago) and Mr Sotis acting as a safety diver - during the filming - for divers he knew to be 'unqualified (i.e. uncertified) for said dives.

The recovery video posted (somewhere here) showed the loop still in Stewart's mouth.

And one quick question to save me searching through several threads and dozens of posts; is the above a fact, that is the mouthpiece was still in the mouth when the body was found?

And one quick question to save me searching through several threads and dozens of posts; is the above a fact, that is the mouthpiece was still in the mouth when the body was found?
Alas I couldn't find it either, hopefully someone more versed in all of these threads will repost the video link for you. The loop mouthpiece being basically in place does not mean the loop didn't flood however (as I tried to explain above)

Back
Top Bottom