Camiguin Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benjamin Lloyd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thoughts? Planning a trip for March. The island looks perfect. How's the diving? Last year I went to S. Leyte, Alona, Dauin, Sipalay, & Moalboal. Leyte is the only one I'd maybe return to this time. Thinking Malapascua and...? The other option is Indonesia, Tulamben to get one friend his AOW and then Bunaken & Bangka. Is Camiguin anywhere near as good as N. Sulawesi? I hear it's not bad but not great. More macro than reefs? Poor viz? Thanks

The attraction of Camiguin is above water!!!
Small island with very light traffic, 7 volcanoes so lot of hiking trails. Cyclist will love the place especially the round the island route.
However, the under water scene is very ordinary by Pinoy standard. I dived there once(8 dives) and honesty don't think I will ever return there for diving only. Bunaken is a lot better.

I did a reef dive in camiguin that was very good . Banka is better

Bangka is a great place to dive (Bunaken not so much though...), Tulamben is a killer for macro. Really.
Add on top that Indonesia is on average better than Philippines, hence you have to target a good spot in the PIs to match Indonesia. To compare with, only Anilao would stand against Tulamben.
I haven't dived Camiguin but just Anda just in front, Anda was really tame even compared to other nearby spots in the Phils such as Alona/Balicasag.

Thanks for the replies. What's the knock on Bunaken? I've read through the Indo forum and it seems its fame far outstrips its quality. Fishy walls should be good for a couple days. We'll just do 2 days there and then 4-5 on Bangka.

@Luko isn't a fan of Bunaken, I did about a week there and enjoyed it. Yes it's mostly fishy walls with loads of turtles and some sloping reefs. The walls are nice with lots of macro on them with lots of fish darting about, the reefs can be good for a nice drift dive, the tops of the reefs are a good place to poke about at the end of the dive with lots of soft coral.
Pairing Bunaken with Banka sure why not?
Since I'm a freak for macro I would pair Banka with Lembeh.

We were bored stiffness in Lembeh.
Bunaken is so much better.

@Centrals is not a macro fan, along with @Luko is not a Bunaken fan.
@dirtfarmer is an observer and a smart-ass ocasionally.

I'll add that @Luko has an encyclopedic knowledge of Indonesia and @Centrals can get you from plane to bus to ferry on your island hopping in the PI better than google.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom