Scubapro Galileo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any one have experience with battery change in the G2 transmitter. after approx. 200 dives, while in Bonaire 3 weeks ago my G2 wrist unit lost signal, intermittently and randomly. Sometimes I got a got pressure reading for 2-3 minutes, then I'd lose the signal for multiple minutes, totally random. I swapped out the battery with a fresh 2/3aa cell, without relief,
I sent the transmitter back, under warranty via my local dive shop, where I bought the G2 and 3 days ago I was told that because I put a 3.6 volt 2/3 aa in the transmitter, instead of a 3.0 volt cell, that I violated the warranty. I had sent a letter along with my transmitter explaining that the failure occurred BEFORE the battery change, so far no resolution. I checked the manual online, while in Bonaire, and there is no specification listed for what voltage rating is required, just "CR2/3 AA battery" page 91. I rechecked the manual again today and that is still the case.
Any input would be appreciated.

Since they did not specify the battery voltage they can't really blame you for fitting the wrong type.

That said I would add that the battery size is what they stated, not the voltage - and on my G2 it specifically states that the cell is not end user replaceable (probably to avoid such issues). The chemical composition of cells does mean that the voltage differs. Think in terms that a standard AA alkaline battery has 1.5 volts whereas an NiMh AA size cell has only 1.2v.

They would argue that overvolting the computer may have damaged it, however by such a margin I would argue that if overvolting it by 0.6 volts is sufficient to kill the computer they have inadequate protections designed into it.
Theyir warranty is probably designed to protect them for idiots who fit wildly incorrect cells, and you are victim to this policy, so approaching hem and asking for rectification 'as a gesture of good faith' would absolve them from creating a precedent which could leave them vulnerable to having to cover warranty for the folks whose BMI exceeds their IQ.

Meh. Shearwaters (and I'm sure they're not the only ones) will take any AA-size cell, and all wallwarts up to some wattage will take 110 to 250 volts at 50 or 60 Hz. That's nor exactly newfangled rocket age technology anymore. Just make your thing 0.2" longer and stick extra $.05 worth of lictronyx in there.

Since they did not specify the battery voltage they can't really blame you for fitting the wrong type.

That said I would add that the battery size is what they stated, not the voltage - and on my G2 it specifically states that the cell is not end user replaceable (probably to avoid such issues). The chemical composition of cells does mean that the voltage differs. Think in terms that a standard AA alkaline battery has 1.5 volts whereas an NiMh AA size cell has only 1.2v.

They would argue that overvolting the computer may have damaged it, however by such a margin I would argue that if overvolting it by 0.6 volts is sufficient to kill the computer they have inadequate protections designed into it.
Theyir warranty is probably designed to protect them for idiots who fit wildly incorrect cells, and you are victim to this policy, so approaching hem and asking for rectification 'as a gesture of good faith' would absolve them from creating a precedent which could leave them vulnerable to having to cover warranty for the folks whose BMI exceeds their IQ.

My LDS and the Scubapro regional rep both confirmed that the transmitter battery is user replaceable, and my G2manual (page 92) gives replacement instructions for the owner to swap out the batteries. Scubapro replaced the transmitter under warranty, no charge. I ordered 3.0 volt replacement batteries, so I should be good for the future.

Owner of ScubaPro G2 wireless. PERFECT....except there is so much glare on the screen, I cannot read it. Very disappointed and ScubaPro says “oh...you’re th first to,mention this.” Caveat....before you buy one, dive it and see how reflective the screen is. I’ll take my old LCD Galileo Luna over this one. At least I can read it!

I like the four color display option. The pics i'm looking at are of the compass with the 4 different colors. Looks real nice
Owner of ScubaPro G2 wireless. PERFECT....except there is so much glare on the screen, I cannot read it. Very disappointed and ScubaPro says “oh...you’re th first to,mention this.” Caveat....before you buy one, dive it and see how reflective the screen is. I’ll take my old LCD Galileo Luna over this one. At least I can read it!

Try the white on black screen. I had very bad glare issues before I switched the screen color.

I have been experiencing problem with the middle button of my G2. It doesn't correspond like the other buttons and has a slow return. Does anyone else experience same problem ?

I have been experiencing problem with the middle button of my G2. It doesn't correspond like the other buttons and has a slow return. Does anyone else experience same problem ?
I find I have to soak the G2 well after diving and press the buttons when in dress water a few times or they stick and don't respond. You may want to try this before sending it in.

Back
Top Bottom