Deep 6 regulator and TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What history do they have?
Same guy that was in charge at HOG now runs Deep Six.

Also the Signature reg is more comparable to the D3 than the D1. There are some internal differences as well as cosmetic. Either reg (D1, D3, Deep Six Signature) is perfectly fine for tech diving.

Disclaimer: I'm a HOG and Deep Six reg tech Instructor. I am also the author of the Deep Six Service manual and the first versions of the HOG D2 and D3 manuals as well as the Edge EXP service procedure.

Same guy that was in charge at HOG now runs Deep Six.

Also the Signature reg is more comparable to the D3 than the D1. There are some internal differences as well as cosmetic. Either reg (D1, D3, Deep Six Signature) is perfectly fine for tech diving.

Disclaimer: I'm a HOG and Deep Six reg tech Instructor. I am also the author of the Deep Six Service manual and the first versions of the HOG D2 and D3 manuals as well as the Edge EXP service procedure.

So Mares and Oceanic also have a history with Deep 6 since Chris worked for them. Scubapro has a history with Atomic Aquatics. If we trace things back to the manufacturing plants...then almost all manufactures have a history with the other. :)

Wow... Thank you all for your input. Your answers help me a lot.

I really like my regulator and Deep 6's service and wish to continue using their regs. So that is very good news.

The BP/W setup is something I have to get my head around. I don't have much knowledge about it , so I'll read a lot of discussions about what is needed to dive doubles.

NO issue with Deep6 Regs. I know many tech divers with it and they go deeper than I've ever been without an issue. As others have said, there is no such thing as a "tech regulator." Maintain it and you'll be fine.

The BP/W setup is something I have to get my head around. I don't have much knowledge about it , so I'll read a lot of discussions about what is needed to dive doubles.

Multiple options here too but this is going to be even easier than the regulator. You need a plate (probably steel) and webbing and a wing. I would suggest getting a wing that is donut shaped rather than crescent one. I think it would allow better movement of air as you move around. Multiple vendors; I have Halcyon and Light Monkey and I love both of them. But many options out there and that's part of the fun of shopping for it.

When I started tech with backmounted doubles, I got a Deep6 DIN conversion for the Deep6 Signature series that I already had, and bought a second Deep6 Signature series. The O2/deco reg I bought from DGX also has a Deep6 second stage. In addition to my Florida ocean experience, had those regs in relatively cold water (Whidbey Island/Puget Sound) in November with no problems.

The difference in cost for backplates is largely driven by the amount of time they are machined (according to a backplate manufacturer). A harness is a harness, so Halcyon webbing and Deep 6 are a little different/better. The durability of material used for wings varies. I'd suggest for doubles a 40 lb lift. If you can try in a pool before you buy, even better. For a manifold, you just can't beat DGX at $100.

Hi
As said before there is no "tech approved reg".
If this term was implied by the shop, it means they don't know much or just want to sell you stuff.
Can you not do the ITT course with their rental gear and from there, you will see.
If you want to buy, just get another deep6 reg, get a second hand bp and wing and thats it; no need to spend much money.

So Mares and Oceanic also have a history with Deep 6 since Chris worked for them. Scubapro has a history with Atomic Aquatics. If we trace things back to the manufacturing plants...then almost all manufactures have a history with the other. :)
Do you want to split hairs?

The implication was that Chris designed the HOG zenith regulator (and more) and the Deep 6 signature series so for shop to say that HOG is ok but "we don't know anything about deep6" gives the impression they are clueless to what quality level the Deep 6 signature series regulators truly are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom