AOW before Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE CCR1 is entry level CCR MOD1. Would be nice if they did something equal for sidemount as well. Btw, I dive bm doubles, bm single and sidemount because I have fun with it. I adapt to the tool that fits my need best for a specific situation and don't let GUE restrictions bother me much. I'am a diver, not just an GUE diver :cool:

OT: AOW is not neccesary. If you really want to go the tech route, I would suggest starting with training with tech oriented organisations as soon as possible.

After cave 2 is way too late for some divers. This will change in a few years. Then you can do a sidemount primer and do it earlier.

What will change in a few years? You can take cavern/intro/... class in sidemount today. I don't expect GUE to change their position on sidemount though, for other reasons. They are deeply invested in project oriented team diving, where every diver should have the same configuration so that buddies can help each other blindly in zero vis, and so on. Consistent configuration in the team overrules individual preferences. There's no reason to ever allow an alternative sidemount track in Fundies/T1+2/C1+2 from that point of view. Once they open that can of worms, a random team of GUE members will hardly ever have a consistent configuration.
That said, I love sidemounting in general and won't put the load of heavy twin tanks on my old back, and that just means GUE is not for me. I couldn't care less.

You have no business being in a sidemount passage unless you are full cave (cave2) with a few dives (25+). If you aren't experienced enough to actually be in sidemount sized passage then you should be in backmount and have access to all of your gas and all the other positives of backmounted doubles. There is no place in GUE for sidemount zealots who aren't versatile enough to pick the right tool for the job. I know plenty of divers who sidemount everything (even when its a bad idea) or have no idea how manifolded doubles actually work (so they make poor buddies) - don't be that diver.
Is this the crap they actually teach you or is this babble a personal opinion?

What will change in a few years? You can take cavern/intro/... class in sidemount today. I don't expect GUE to change their position on sidemount though, for other reasons. They are deeply invested in project oriented team diving, where every diver should have the same configuration so that buddies can help each other blindly in zero vis, and so on. Consistent configuration in the team overrules individual preferences. There's no reason to ever allow an alternative sidemount track in Fundies/T1+2/C1+2 from that point of view. Once they open that can of worms, a random team of GUE members will hardly ever have a consistent configuration.
That said, I love sidemounting in general and won't put the load of heavy twin tanks on my old back, and that just means GUE is not for me. I couldn't care less.
Gue has changed a lot of things in the last few years. When I started tech, it was ratio deco, no computer calculations done, only check with decoplanner sometimes. Now you plan with decoplanner, and use pragmatic deco. rd is just a check. I already learned pragmatic deco in my full trimix course. Another thing was that rebreathers were dangerous. I still remember the discussion of mixed team diving for project baseline were rebreathers were seen as dangerous (and we only took the water samples at 50m depth). Now you can do a ccr course with gue.
They talk now about a ccr course after T1, so earlier, not only after T2 anymore.
Sidemount was not done, there was no way that Gue would do sidemount as there was no way to do this in teams in 1 way was told years ago. Now you can do it. Since I started diving, a lot of things has been changed. Documentation diver became also. Rec courses are introduced and Rec3 became ISO certified and same level as Divemaster.
You see agencies change over time. Not only gue of course.

CCR cave is a course since 2010?
I read now about a ccr sidemount cave course. I don't know what I would learn in this course as I already dive with my sidekick in caves. But this is another example of a course that has been introduced recently.
The max depth of Adv. Rec. Trimix from iantd is now 51m, was 48 when I did the course. The max depth of (nitrox) open water diver with iantd was 21m, is now 18 (due to rstc/iso).

Choose an agency you think that fits you best. So easy it is.
And yes, I like sidemount diving and ccr diving or a combination of both. :D
Oh and yes, sometimes I use my sidemount equipment on dives were backmount also fits. :D What is wrong with that? Nothing. Not all sidemount divers do real restrictions. I sometimes do, but if you don't like, but like sidemounts, then go diving in sidemounts. Mixed team diving is not that hard.

The GUE chimney is smokin', that's for sure.
And from others also. I don't mind, as long as I think this is worth the money (but I will not a course or do a course I will learn nothing, but this differs from diver to diver, my needs are different from other divers maybe) Business is just make Gauss calculations.

And from others also. I don't mind, as long as I think this is worth the money (but I will not a course or do a course I will learn nothing, but this differs from diver to diver) Business is just make Gauss calculations.
Oh I dont mind them making money for quality classes.

I am staunchly opposed to the continuous addition of classes (like Rec3) and the reduction in standards (like CCR without Tech 2).

I don't see this as a reduction of standards, but just to redesign a business model. When I could join on my level, I had done it years ago. But starting over again, no. It can be a strong point, but is also a weak point. Not every diver want it and not every diver need it. Yes, such a course can be usefull for a lot of divers, but there are more options. And some really don't need it. This is still a point they hold. It works in their business model.
I decided to start ccr and sidemount. I had to choose from other agencies, they had another business model and I as customer was happy to choose the right products. If you decide not to sell ccr and sidemount courses, you don't fullfill the whole market. No problem, but then as business you see people moving from your company to another. Hmmm, maybe time to sell also the other products? As long as enough people will start from the beginning (or as beginner, or willing to pay to start over again) you can hold this. If you see a reduction of this, then you have to change your businessplan. All business think they do the best in the market and sell the best courses.

This is also a nice article:
An Evaluation of the Modern Scuba Diving Training Industry

And remember, some like the rigid DIR philosophy, others not, others like the recreational sidemount way, or want to start ccr diving early. At the end we all deal with the same physics in the same ocean. There are no stats that state X is better then Y.

As diving agency, certification agency, you have to look often at your business model. Hashtags on Facebook for example became important the last years to promote things. If you don't follow it and don't change from time to time after re-evaluation, your part of the market will getting smaller and smaller. Do you want to focus on all divers, only on sportsdivers, or do you want to focus on the rich divers? Diving is also a brand now. I earned my Padi is shouted often. I am a IANTD diver, I am a 'DIR'-diver, etc.

Iti s getting a little bit offtopic. But to choose the right way for you: The best instructor is a worse instructor if it doesn't fit your personality.
And be critical in yourself and your instructor. You must want to improve, train, excercise, if you think it is just for fun and I know it all, sorry, but it will not work. And the instructor must have a high level of his own skills and experience. Then ask yourself does the personality fits? Because you have to work several days,weeks, months with such a person. If this all is a yes, go for it.

Rebreathers getting more popular it is difficult in some areas to find oc tech buddies to dive OC at T2 level.

Back
Top Bottom