Best mask for a mustasche??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a goatee and use various versions of the DGX frameless mask (OMS as well as the DGX branded one). While I do try and keep the top of my goatee shaved, I often don’t bother shaving it before a dive. I do keep my goatee pretty short so it might not work for everybody.

I'm surprised they don't make a mask with those super soft gelatinous materials like on my CPAP nasal pillows. Granted they are disposable, but mine last for 6 months before they fail catastrophically. Maybe a mask could have a replaceable gel mustache add-on. If it failed, you just rip it off and suffer the normal leakiness on that dive.

Use O-ring lube in your mustache. Tastes great, too.

Using the DGX for the first time this week in Cozumel. After 4 dives, hands down best mask i have...I have a few.....I burnt off the film, used toothpaste and it hasn’t foggeged yet. I have a fumanchu trimmed for the trip....minimal leak and as noted above, just exhale through the nose to clear. At $29.00, can’t be beat.,

I used to have a huge mustache and would shave just the top edge which sort of worked. I ended up shaving it off completely because I live in Hawaii now and dive all the time. The Atomic Aquatics Venom mask might help with its soft edge seal, but it is pricy.

I love the US Divers mask that Costco sells with snorkel and fins. The mask has a purge valve in the nose so any leakage is easily purged by exhaling through nose. I tried several High end masks in Bonaire when my costco one broke and none of them have purge valve and all leaked with my mustache. The shop owner said only way around it was to shave. I just limped along for last few dives with my broken on and bought a new set once I returned. Can’t go wrong at $39.

I have a aqua lung wrap around that seals excellent but I hate the size of the mask, the rubber is very stiff and seals well, I'm willing to part with it if your looking to buy one. Cheap!

I find keeping my mustache trim and short I have no problem with a seal no matter what mask I used. I just need to remember to do it before the dive. As mentioned in a previous reply, try a full face mask. I too love my OTS Spectrum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom