Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you missed two more sides. There are at least four sides in this thread.

3rd side are those who think ponys should never be used.

4th side are those like me that think its crazy to be telling us we shouldnt use a pony at all. not that ill use a pony every dive or maybe i will who knows. depends on dive buddy and dive situation. maybe that makes me one of your two sides.
When I started diving I was at a divingclub with padi divers. People were already telling me that it as not safe to dive with unknown divers you met from internet. But I didn't agree wih that. People are always telling me that is hard to find a good buddy. But I don’t think it’s hard to find a good buddy. Try to be a good buddy and don’t dive again with divers you don’t like.

If I want to do a tech dive to 51 meter that is possible for me with a unknown buddy. It is also possible for me to do a cavedive of 3 hours with an unknown buddy. I did both last year.

If you want to dive with a good buddy you should also be a good buddy by yourself. And sometimes you have to travel a longer distance. It will be harder to plan a trip with friends than just go diving with unknown buddy’s.

For me it makes diving more fun to have a good buddy and the same goal and plan during the dive. That is a choice I made.It’s easier complain about skills of other people and use a pony. That’s a choice you make. Everbody is responsible for his own choices. But when I dive single tank, my dives are safe enough to dive without pony. If I don't like a dive or buddy I will cancel the dive.

Just keep in mind though, this has been your experience so far. It completely differs from mine presently.

It's so interesting to see how much some people are so identified with their position that they are unable to see or relate to others. Which is life, I guess. Some people are unable to get past their own conditioning much less realise that how they view anything is so coloured by their past experience. I am very conscious of that, so keep an open mind (in general) as with scuba which is why I think I have learnt so much on this board. Sure you have to have an active filter to sieve out the conditioned folks, but then there's the educated 'Dive and let dive' folks that share their knowledge, journey and experience which is usually easily relatable even if far removed from your experiences.

Again, great discussion. So much info to learn from, if you are open to it.

It's so interesting to see how much some people are so identified with their position that they are unable to see or relate to others. Which is life, I guess. Some people are unable to get past their own conditioning much less realise that how they view anything is so coloured by their past experience. I am very conscious of that, so keep an open mind (in general) as with scuba which is why I think I have learnt so much on this board. Sure you have to have an active filter to sieve out the conditioned folks, but then there's the educated 'Dive and let dive' folks that share their knowledge, journey and experience which is usually easily relatable even if far removed from your experiences.

Again, great discussion. So much info to learn from, if you are open to it.
Very good point. There is a recent thread somewhere dedicated to what you say--regarding accepting criticism and "dive and let dive".

Been a member for many years but never posted except to inquire about gear for sale until now. Learned a lot over the years from people on this board but have also waded through countless pages of BS. I think some of the posters, even the more accomplished, lose sight of the fact that every diver is different and dive under different conditions, have different risk tolerances etc. I grew up diving in the north Gulf of Mexico as a kid with a speargun in my hand. Lived in NC for the last 30 years and do most of my diving off the NC coast with an occasional family trip to Bonaire. Main focus of my diving is still spearfishing although I've started doing a little Meg toothing here and there.

Most of my dives in NC are in the 100-125 ft range. Neither toothing nor spearfishing are very conducive to buddy diving. As a result, I started carrying a pony on many of my deeper dives. I've never had an equipment failure in 40 plus years of diving but they do happen. I carry a 19 cft attached to my tank. If I were not spearing or toothing I'd sling it as I think it would be smarter to have it in front where you can see it but I don't want the entanglement issue and quite honestly, I've got enough moving parts already.

Some of the comments on this thread have been well thought out and informative. This is the Basic forum after all and will likely have less experienced divers watching and/or participating . Some of the arguments I've read on this thread against the use of a pony are bordering on the absurd. To address some of them:

IMO, doubles are certainly safer in many situations. That said, most of the boats around here aren't particularly set up to handle doubles plus I'm usually doing three drops per trip so it makes sense to use large singles plus the pony. I've got doubles and I occasionally dive them but not often. The pony gives me enough redundancy to deal with most foreseeable issues. I don't see the argument about a pony resulting in poor gas management to be particularly valid. I don't think a pony should be added to a divers kit too early as it is something else to manage and it should never enter into your minimum gas calculation. The same could be said for doubles if you don't intend to use more than half your gas on a dive but nobody seems to make that argument. If the diver does screw up and go OOA, the presence of a pony may save their life.

I don't typically dive cattle boats with people I don't know so I don't have insta buddies to deal with. I've seen enough crappy divers over the years to know that could be an issue for someone else, just not for me. My buddies are all pretty solid divers but then I know from the start we will be diving same ocean so I can't necessarily rely on them in an emergency. Some of them carry ponies, some don't. To each their own!

IMO, if you are always doing shallow dives and/or have a solid buddy that stays close you probably don't need one but to say that there is never a reason for any diver under any conditions to utilize one is ridiculous. Every diver has to make his own assessment of his/her risk tolerance and gear up accordingly. I would never discourage another diver from carrying a potentially life saving piece of safety gear just because I didn't feel it was necessary for me.

It's not rocket science. If a diver, even a relatively new diver, feels they should carry a pony I see very little downside to that assuming that they understand how it functions and don't include it in gas calculations or become emboldened to dive beyond their comfort zone by its presence. Its a decision each diver has to make for themselves.

Dive safe,

Ken

Kha....you should post more often:wink:
Thanks. Lot of very knowledgeable people on here. Unfortunately too often the threads seem to devolve into soap boxing from some of the more rigid thinkers in group. One size seldom fits all.

Ken

I agree with flyboy also, you should post more often. I normally wouldnt post till friday as im busy but I just got my black luxfor 19cf pony bottle a second ago and crikey this things a big bugger!!! Im glad I ordered black itll keep my profile looking slim and svelte when its slung up front....

Hi - I found this thread because I was looking to see if NAUI still uses a pony bottle, as they did when I got certified 30 years ago? We did a refresher a few weeks ago, but it was PADI and we used an octopus.
I like the idea of a pony bottle better in the unlikely event I run out of air. (I don't see myself diving that deep ever and I'm a cautious person who always looks at my air gauge.)
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom