DIR- Generic Fitness and DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s funny you say that, I used to do rowing in my school for a couple of years.

No one I have EVER seen can do it properly.
I rowed in college as well, and I still cringe when I see people on an Erg at the gym. I hate those machines, but you need the right form or you will get hurt.

Always do free weights as much as possible, most machines over isolate and provide an incomplete workout.

Yoga is incredible for the body and BREATHING.

Work hard, enjoy

So here is what I am doing presently:

Monday: Chest and Triceps:

Bench Presses 4 sets
Incline Presses 4 Sets
Cable work Drop sets 3

Narrow Grip Bench 3 x 10
Overhead Dumbells 3 x 10
Tricep Extensions Drop sets 3

Cardio 20 minutes

Tuesday: Back and Biceps

Deadlifts 5 sets (I keep reps under 5 with as heavy a load as I can)
Wide grip pulldowns or pull ups 4 sets
Barbell Rows 4 sets
Cable Rows Drop Sets 3

Cardio 20 minutes

Wednesday

Cardio 40 minutes with abs

Thursday: Shoulders

Military Press or Behind the neck press 4 sets
Side laterals 4 sets
Rear delt laterals 4 sets
Upright rows 4 sets
Shrugs 4 sets

Friday: Legs

Squats 5 sets
Calve raises 5 sets
Cardio 20 minutes

Light Cardio and Stretching on Saturday and Sunday

Repeat...

The best full body workout for diving is diving. You want to get strong enough to hump a set of doubles? Hump a set of doubles. :)

View media item 206903

The best full body workout for diving is diving. You want to get strong enough to hump a set of doubles? Hump a set of doubles. :)

View media item 206903
Well, you’re not going to go walking around in doubles for exercise, you can injure yourself if you fall and it’s just not practical. If you’re not diving ALL the time like most divers, it is not feasible to consider carrying diving equipment your strength conditioning. I think it’s better to train harder in the gym etc when you are not diving, and when you do have to do long walks carrying everything, you aren’t trying to get stronger, because you’ve already prepared.

Something along the lines of “train hard in peace, fight easy in war”. (A bit dramatic but only analogy I could come up with to explain what I mean).

And by the way, I have no problem hoofing a set of doubles around. I just want to do more things that are actually functional in relation to diving.

i'm not sure i agree with this. if you aren't strong enough to do it, how do you get strong enough to do it by doing it?
you need an exercise with progressive overload to get there.
Especially if you are a woman who weighs 50kg and has never done weight bearing exercise in her life. (Not to say that women are weak-not at all)

I interpreted Ken's, er, suggestion as being slightly tongue in cheek. Oh, I'm sure he got a good workout humping those doubles through the Bonaire outback (to the secret caves?) on his recent trip. Probably not advisable as a daily strength training regimen, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom