Is nitrox worth it for deeper rec dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobermory is in Ontario Canada...somewhat north of Florida...

I am aware of where Tobermory is unfortunately. It seems like half the population of Ontario makes the trip down to Florida every year for the winter, or as we call it "winter."

I am well acquainted with the official book procedure, as I have to sign the nitrox log a couple of times a day when I am diving while traveling, along with the reason for testing (I am considering buying my own tester for the foreign dive shops where they might not have a back up tester). It was simply an observation that at a half a dozen shops that I gotten Nitrox fills at, from local Tampa areas shops to those down in South Florida and the Keys, that I've only ever filled out the nitrox logbook when renting tanks, everything else is the same as the renters except they never had me fill out the log book. And I've seen the same shops stop the renters and make sure that they fill out the log book.

*shrug* I would think the liability would be the same be it if it were a fill or a tank rental. I wouldn't mind either way, as filling in the log adds at most 30 seconds of time.

My local shop is even more nonchalant as it is more like "You know the procedure and how to work the tester, come into the showroom to check out once you are done and have loaded your tanks."

I am aware of where Tobermory is unfortunately. It seems like half the population of Ontario makes the trip down to Florida every year for the winter, or as we call it "winter."

I am well acquainted with the official book procedure, as I have to sign the nitrox log a couple of times a day when I am diving while traveling, along with the reason for testing (I am considering buying my own tester for the foreign dive shops where they might not have a back up tester). It was simply an observation that at a half a dozen shops that I gotten Nitrox fills at, from local Tampa areas shops to those down in South Florida and the Keys, that I've only ever filled out the nitrox logbook when renting tanks, everything else is the same as the renters except they never had me fill out the log book. And I've seen the same shops stop the renters and make sure that they fill out the log book.

*shrug* I would think the liability would be the same be it if it were a fill or a tank rental. I wouldn't mind either way, as filling in the log adds at most 30 seconds of time.

My local shop is even more nonchalant as it is more like "You know the procedure and how to work the tester, come into the showroom to check out once you are done and have loaded your tanks."

Hey Manatee...

MD...

Complacency and laziness...the two great *ss biters in our industry...

Wanting to know the benefits of NITROX...when what you really are having trouble with is taking the training...and spending the few extra dollars for the benefits of blended gas...

And not to forget asking where ''less expensive'' batteries can be purchased because the correct battery...''breaks the bank''...

Two requirements are absolutely necessary in our sport...training...and spending money...reluctance to fulfill either one...is the primary reason why statistics gatherers will never be out of work...

Never ceases to amaze me how some ''divers'' will show up on the boat and complain about the inexpensive items...like the cost of blended gas fills and batteries...back in the day...I used to get this stuff for...blah...blah...blah...

Finally don't you think you should update your profile...as you are currently listed as 0 - dives...not certified...

Best...

Warren

To a certain extent I can understand why they aren't as worried as say making sure the visual, hydro, and oxygen cleaning is current. If I screw those up they die, but if I screw up testing the mix, calculating the MOD, or marking the tank I am the one that ends up in the body bag. So the onus is on me to ensure that I follow the steps correctly. All I need the shop employees is to show me how to work their O2 tester, and to show me where the marking tape is.

That is part of the reason I don't like valet diving, I prefer to retrieve my tanks, test them, check the pressures, hook everything up yadda yadda yadda all by myself. Because I am more worried about my survival than the dive master is.

WOW, didn't read all this, but your statement about needing your tanks O2 cleaned here, when being filled with banked nitrox, is 10000% inaccurate.

If you are partial pressure filling your tanks, then you 100% have to have your tanks O2 cleaned. We bank 32% nitrox for a reason, it's the most used mix and tanks don't have to be O2 cleaned. Also, our Air is O2 compatible, and as long as your tanks are filled here all the time, once O2 clean, they stay cleaned.

I'm not sure where the confusion came from, but in no way did anyone here tell you that you would need your tanks O2 cleaned, with our banked nitrox.

WOW, didn't read all this, but your statement about needing your tanks O2 cleaned here, when being filled with banked nitrox, is 10000% inaccurate.

If you are partial pressure filling your tanks, then you 100% have to have your tanks O2 cleaned. We bank 32% nitrox for a reason, it's the most used mix and tanks don't have to be O2 cleaned. Also, our Air is O2 compatible, and as long as your tanks are filled here all the time, once O2 clean, they stay cleaned.

I'm not sure where the confusion came from, but in no way did anyone here tell you that you would need your tanks O2 cleaned, with our banked nitrox.
The confusion comes from thinking that anything other than 32% requires a partial pressure fill, which DOES require O2 cleaning. Perhaps your website needs to point out that requests for less than 32% (like the 28% that started this whole mess) simply need a 32% plus some clean air....neither of which requires an O2 clean tank.

So do you make 28% from diluting 32% in uncleaned tanks?

I can't believe this is even a question....

OF COURSE WE DO! Dumbing down mixes with air has never been an issue, nor would it be. Not once did we say we didn't, and there is not a soul here who would even think of saying something like that. I'm sorry, but this comes from confusion from the OP on what is going on and not fully understanding blending.

I can't believe this is even a question....

OF COURSE WE DO! Dumbing down mixes with air has never been an issue, nor would it be. Not once did we say we didn't, and there is not a soul here who would even think of saying something like that. I'm sorry, but this comes from confusion from the OP on what is going on and not fully understanding blending.

I would have assumed so, but some dive shops have policies that are sometimes hard to comprehend. I think this issue arose some time earlier in the thread

I would have assumed so, but some dive shops have policies that are sometimes hard to comprehend. I think this issue arose some time earlier in the thread

It did, but I didn't see it until now to address it. :wink:

@Dive Right In Scuba ;

Mike:

Best to be late to the party, than not there at all..

As some have said, there are some insane shop policies out there. You folks have a solid reputation, yet it still takes a watchdog attitude to keep it.

Thanks for dropping in and "clearing the air" (pun intended).

Back
Top Bottom