Airfare to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to be regional (not necessarily distance or connection based). From where I fly, the price has stayed approximately the same for the last three fall trips. Maybe I was paying "too much" three years ago? Years ago, the cost of airfare spurred me to stay longer (example: 2 weeks or more :) instead of 1) whenever possible. I know everyone doesn't have that kind of flexibility, but it does reduce the impact of airfare on the total cost of the trip. It also affords the opportunity to slow down and relax more at my destination. I'm sure that doesn't fit everybody's dive travel goals, but I've enjoyed longer stays even if it means fewer destinations. All IMHO, YMMV. Have fun & safe diving. :)

It seems to be regional (not necessarily distance or connection based). From where I fly, the price has stayed approximately the same for the last three fall trips. Maybe I was paying "too much" three years ago? Years ago, the cost of airfare spurred me to stay longer (example: 2 weeks or more :) instead of 1) whenever possible. I know everyone doesn't have that kind of flexibility, but it does reduce the impact of airfare on the total cost of the trip. It also affords the opportunity to slow down and relax more at my destination. I'm sure that doesn't fit everybody's dive travel goals, but I've enjoyed longer stays even if it means fewer destinations. All IMHO, YMMV. Have fun & safe diving. :)
I have decided to move in this direction also with 2 week trips to Bonaire and the Philippines this year.

Jet Blue expanded to Curacao and Puerto Rico, but are pulling out of Puerto Rico. They have a section of the website where you can suggest a new destination. I encourage people to suggest Bonaire. Jet Blue to Bonaire would be a game-changer.

My jetport is Las Vegas, so the information below is for flights out of Las Vegas but is applicable to most since we all need to travel through Miami or Atlanta or Houston or Newark to get to Bonaire. My definition of decent travel times from Las Vegas to Bonaire is 9 to 12 hrs.

Just looked this am for flights to Bonaire this September/October time period. I was finding prices between $806 - $880, with decent travel times, on either American or United. Delta's flights were over $1000 RT. For reference, when I first started traveling to Bonaire in 2007, flights were $650 to $750 RT on all the airlines and the prices stayed in that range for several years.

As for using award miles, when American entered the Bonaire market, I was hoping to be able to fly RT for 25,000 miles (economy milesaver) like I have been able to do to Curacao the last several years. Typical mileage rate from LAS to BON on American seems to be 55,000 miles RT (economy aanytime) with decent travel times. I can get a 12,500 mile leg to BON but travel time is 18 hrs. Granted, American is flying into Bonaire now on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays giving one more options than United.

Historically, I have been able to fly from LAS to BON on United for 35,000 miles RT (economy), however, the last two years, those 17,500 miles legs with decent travel times have been hard to come by even planning a fall trip in January and having the Chase United Plus Explorer credit card which open up more award flight options when you are logged into United's website. That being said, it appears that United has opened up more 17,500 return flights for a Sunday departure, so the 35,000 mile RT (economy) flight option is more viable in 2019. Historically, I prefer to get into Bonaire in the afternoon, which means flying via Newark, however, the Newark flight typically does not go to Bonaire from mid August to mid to late October. Flights out of Houston arrive around 6 pm each Saturday.

Delta's miles options out of Las Vegas for example range from 67,000 to 81,000 miles RT (economy) with decent travel times. Delta use to be competitive with American and United flying out of Las Vegas but that seemed to have changed starting a couple years ago.

You can always mix and match 1 way flights on different airlines in order to get to Bonaire on the days you want.

Insel Air use to provide decent service between Curacao and Bonaire but they have had major issues the last couple of years with having functional aircraft and flight crews. Insel Air is in the process of being acquired by InterCaribbean Airways. Divi Divi Air and EZ Air fly between Bonaire and Curacao but they utilize smaller aircraft that have limited luggage capacity, so be prepared for overweight luggage fees.

BonairePros has a good whitepaper on flights from the U.S. to Bonaire I have uploaded the pdf.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• Dec 18 Flights-To-Bonaire-Whitepaper.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
I just suck up the airfare. My apartment, truck, unlimited air, and the diving freedom are cheap so I splurge on the fare. I'm lucky in that I travel solo. If I had to pay airfare for 2 or more it would quickly become prohibitive.

I'm currently doing one way Delta to Bonaire (7+ hours, 1 stop), Bonaire to Aruba on Aruba Airlines (nonstop), staying on Aruba a few days (go through customs there), and then Southwest to Albany (7+ hours, 1 stop). I will never book with United again due to cancelling my route and sending me through Newark to Huston to Chicago to Washington DC to Bonaire (from Albany NY), changing my return flight to require an ovcernight in Newark, and other idiotic re-routes through Huston several other times.

I'm also going to try flying to Ft. Lauderdale and driving to Key Largo. Non-stop round trip from Albany is under $200. The accomodations and diving will be more expensive but I think a week will be comparable or less than what I spend on a Bonaire trip. Videos look like there are tons of fish and that's what I like to look at. Being a non-stop flight and no customs might make this my go to trip.

All good advice!
I do hope airfare can stay around $1000 or less so I can continue to visit the island!

When every option I can find from where I live is over $1000 -- sadly it might be time for me to think about going someplace else -- but I would really miss Bonaire!

I am heading there on the 19th and was curious as to present price. I was surprised to see this,

Bonaire.jpg

Wow. I just doubled checked your fares on Orbitz and that is what it is showing. These were the fares we first experienced when we started our trips to Bon. There was also a delta nonstop from JFK which is a much better airport to travel from.

Same fare for the following 2 weeks as well if anyone is flexible enough in schedule to take advantage of it.

Don't believe United. They screwed me 3 times (my bad). You might get that price but you might also get re-routed all over hell and back. And better check. That price might only be for one leg. Double it (or more) to get the round trip price and that's just about normal from Newark.

That’s one crazy (mistake?) fare from EWR. I could take Delta from ATL to EWR and it would still be far less than Delta’s nonstop ATL-BON.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom