Absolute newbie on UW Photo/Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, so let's say I've decided to just get 1 strobe first, the Inon Z330. If I were to out it on one side, how do I balance out the whole rig so that it won't be lobbed sided?

Or is it advisable to set it up to be at the centre between the 2 handles but with extension arms so that it'll be able to be placed on one side when required? I hope I'm making some sense here...haha

Someone suggested Ikelite DS161 as it has 500 lumen video light and strobe. Anyone got any feedbacks on the Ikelite?

I don't have one myself, but you can get 500 lumens from a $20 Chinese torch. On the other hand, DS-161 costs $950, weighs 1.25kg, measures 18cm long by 10cm around, only takes proprietary Ikelite NiMH battery packs and requires an electrical sync connection. There is an add-on optical converter, but it costs another $150, and doesn't support TTL.
For comparison, a Sea & Sea YS-D2 costs $650, weighs 0.62kg, measures 9x11x14cm, takes standard AA rechargeable batteries and has optical sync built-in, including TTL-slave mode. It's also considerably brighter at GN=32, although DS-161's circular bulb provides a more even beam spread. It also has a 300 lumen target light.
IMHO, for video purposes, 300lm or 500lm are equally useless. Even 5000lm will be marginally useful in clear water. In order to overwhelm the sun, you need 10k+.

I don't have one myself, but you can get 500 lumens from a $20 Chinese torch. On the other hand, DS-161 costs $950, weighs 1.25kg, measures 18cm long by 10cm around, only takes proprietary Ikelite NiMH battery packs and requires an electrical sync connection. There is an add-on optical converter, but it costs another $150, and doesn't support TTL.
For comparison, a Sea & Sea YS-D2 costs $650, weighs 0.62kg, measures 9x11x14cm, takes standard AA rechargeable batteries and has optical sync built-in, including TTL-slave mode. It's also considerably brighter at GN=32, although DS-161's circular bulb provides a more even beam spread. It also has a 300 lumen target light.
IMHO, for video purposes, 300lm or 500lm are equally useless. Even 5000lm will be marginally useful in clear water. In order to overwhelm the sun, you need 10k+.
Thank you. You know I really appreciate yours and everyone inputs cause UW Photography is tototally so new to me. And I'm sueprises the DS 161 weigh more than 1kg... That's a bummer.

Yeah anyway, I dun think I can use it on its own as it uses sync cable and I'm not about to soeds more than necessary to trigger a flash. I think I'm set on Inon Z330. At least for now.

Back
Top Bottom