Where do *you* put your floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arms a little short to add much flotation. My solution on a similarish rig is two INON mega float arms - "S" which each have 390g buoyancy, using a long clamp on the top elbow on each side facilitates getting the non flaot arm in close.
Yep - my arms are too short, so I was thinking of getting 8" or 12". I'm wondering if the buoyancy arms are better than the UL arms with floats... I'll check out those INON arms -- thanks!

This photo illustrates what I guess is your problem:
View attachment 497693

On the left two fat arms are joined by a long clamp, they can be parallel, on the right a standard clamp is used the closest they can get is about 45° apart so the flash can't be bought in as close. You have a similar issue on your set of arms once you add floats to them. This is one of the reasons long clamps are offered. These are Nauticam clamps with INON float arms.
Those are the Mega Float S that you have on there, right? I've looked all over, but I can find no indication of what the ball clamp sizes are. Are they 1" like the UL arms?

Heck of a rig there :cheers:

Thanks -- the good news/bad news is that I bought it used. So I got a bargain, but I have to figure everything out as I go, especially since Subal doesn't make this model, (the CD7) any more!

As far as I know all ball clamps on offer are the same size so interchangable. Yes the big ones are mega float "S" they are 390gr of buoyancy each. Float arms are nice but they come in "round" numbers only unless you invest in the Kraken adjustable arms which have a facility to let some water in so you can adjust the bouyancy. Which means you can only get so close to neutral, my rig is probably 100-200gr negative. Keep in mind that buoyancy changes as you change ports.

I can use two mega float S arms with two 8" plain arms with my fisheye and macro ports. With my 170mm dome port it's too much buoyancy so I switch to two float arms M and two ML (210 gr + 135 Gr = 345 gr each side ) with that port. Alternatively I could use the two mega arms and add some weight to the housing.

It is a good idea to weigh your rig underwater before you start Spending $$ on float arms, I use one of those electronic luggage scales. Then you can calculate how much bouyancy you need. Too much is bad - you do not want a positive camera rig!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom