Is scuba in Costa rica diff than Belize?..also need best snorkel beach.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

Looking to go to Costa Rica in Apr-May for a week. We are 2 families with kids around 11y.o.... Might end up with a tour pkg with Costa Rica Sun Tours: Costa Rica Sun Tours.

Tour will include a beach stay for 2 days . Which beach has the best snorkeling experience & Family friendly ?
Is scuba in Costa rica way different than Belize? ( I dove Belize last year)...If it is same I might skip scuba and just do snorkel.

Tour will also incl. Arenal or Monteverde forest trip and stay ... We are flying in/out San Jose with AA miles.

Pls advice
Thx.......kris

Which area of Belize did you dive? I enjoyed the southern atolls most.

The last several times I have been in Costa Rico I didn't go to the expense and trouble of diving there and choose Panama and Nicaragua instead. The 4 placed I dove in costa rico did not strike me as good value on my first visit.

I did love the mountains and hot springs and remote beaches in Costa Rico. Also enjoyed the food and wildlife.

There's one data point. I have seen nice videos showing some better sites and the dive industry exists there It's likely still nicer than many other spots of the world.

Cameron

Depends on which side of CR you dive in..the West is greenish in color, but one can see large Mants'a..my bio pix is off the coast of Flamingo..I haven't dove the Caribbean side, but I assume it would be similar to Belize which we have dove.The inner country places such as Arenal and MV are GREAT places to visit! We also hit up some neat hot springs upon our last visit..Monkeys were hanging out in the trees trowing branches at us...kinda felt a bit "Planet of the Apeish!

If you care to try surfing, then Tamarindo and Flamingo are destinations to hit up.

Enjoy, its a great country!

Thx guys . I did a 2 tank dive with Amigos del mar off of Caye Ambergris. IMO my aquacat Bahamas LOB last Sep was better:)

We are not into: kayak, surfing, nightlife, drinking , zipline, yoga etc . The rest of the stuff , yeah!

We are in a pkg that has 3 days in Arenal Springs resort. Is this resort good/safe?
&

4 Night accommodations at Nammbú, Playa Carrillo, Guanacaste (Deluxe Room w/ 2 Queen Beds) ..Is this hotel good/safe?
This includes:
Ocean Kayak and Snorkeling Tour to Chora Island, includes transportation, local guide, equipment, snacks and water (shared basis). (B) ( day1)
Days at leisure at Carillo Beach. Relax at the beach and calm ocean waters of Carrillo.. with opt activities( 2 days)
Pick up at your hotel for a private transfer to the Airport in San José ( last day)

----------------
My question is , is there another beach that is better for kids as well as snorkeling to see nice life?
Are these resorts safe and family friendly or shall I ask the agent for other resorts ?

THANKS!!

I found it safe! But like anywhere in the world one can find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong times...just be vigilant!

Costa Rica Travel Advisory

I wasn't a diver when I visited ten years ago, so can't help you there, and I don't remember the names of the tour company and hotels we stayed in. But you'll be there right at the start of turtle season in Tortuguero, and I can't recommend the turtle tours enough. They usually cost extra on top of a basic tour package but are so worth it. Sea turtles come ashore at night to lay their eggs, and sometimes you see the little ones climbing out of the nest and scurrying to the ocean. Egg-laying females looking for nesting grounds are easily spooked, but don't give up once they've started laying their eggs, so your tour guide will keep you a little ways back from the beach until they get a signal from one of the light-footed scouts armed with low-wattage red flashlights. Then you sneak up and watch. It's an unforgettable experience for all ages.

Not normally a zip line person either but the canopy tour near Arenal was excellent. This was more than 10 years ago so ... found the diving on the Pacific side to be so so. Bat Island mantas were good but vis was terrible. Did not bother diving at all last trip to Guanacaste. Ambergris was better - significantly so and there are lots of other things to do and see.

Vis won't be like Belize. 30'-40- is probably average. The dive sites are mostly volcanic rock not coral reefs. There are a very few places to snorkel but some dive ops take snorkelers out with the divers. The lesser vis is made up for by the huge amount and variety of marinelife. IMHO, CR is generally a safe country with very friendly people. We stay in Playa Flamingo area. Fly into Liberia and rent our own car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom