Greetings from Pittsburgh, PA - USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings, ScubaBoarders.

This is my first thread but have been lurking for a while reading a ton to educate myself and fantasize about some of the adventure that awaits me.

I finally got around to starting my OW cert last year but was unable to complete my 4 OW dives before the weather turned as I had to call off my final dives due to a corneal abrasion caused by a dirty contact lens.

So, I'm sitting here watching it snow and can't wait for April so I can get back out to finish my cert.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello and ask if there is anyone out there in the greater Pittsburgh area.

Hi Craig! Welcome to the board.

I live in Canonsburg.

Which local dive shop do you frequent? I prefer Inland Dive Center (formerly Uncle Joe's Scuba) in Coraopolis. I did a refresher with All Things Aquatic in the South Hills a couple years ago.

Are you finishing your OW dives in a local quarry? My refresher was at Dutch Springs in near Bethlehem, PA.

Keith

Hey, Keith.

You're only about 35 minutes south of me. I live in Ross Township on the North side. Moved here from Houston a year and a half ago and before that, Colorado.

I started my PADI OW with All Things Aquatic and plan to finish up with them or get a referral if I want to go on a dive trip before the weather allows us to get back in the quarries.

I was scheduled to attend a dive weekend at Dutch Springs but had the damn eye issue and then couldn't fit in another weekend before the fall weather hit.

I'd like to finish up with them as they've been great to deal with and we had a lot of fun in the pool at Cal-U but thinking of a trip during Spring Break in March (son and his GF in college) so might ask for the referral if we decide to go somewhere tropical.

Craig

Do you dive year 'round around these parts in the quarries and whatnot? I've not thought about drysuit diving (yet) but it might be fun down the line.

Do you dive year 'round around these parts in the quarries and whatnot? I've not thought about drysuit diving (yet) but it might be fun down the line.

Too cold for me!

Did you take your class with Beth or Jim? I think his health deteriorated recently so he is no longer there.

I go to Cozumel every year for 10 days. Most of the time spent underwater. Best bang for your buck IMO. If you are interested, I can recommend several operators I have trained with down there for your referral dives.

I took my classes with Beth (Wally helped with some of the pools sessions). Hadn't heard of anyone name Jim.

Funny you mention Cozumel - I think that's where I'd like to go this year.

Actually, would love to go back to Turks and Caicos (where I did my second "intro to scuba" with son and his GF) but it's rather expensive compared to getting to and staying in Cozumel.

Yeah, shoot me some names of operators down there in case I go that route. My son and his GF still need to do their eLearning and pool work before then and not sure if they'll get it done with classes starting again (bought the the eLearning for Christmas). My wife isn't about diving with the critters but loves beach and pool time.

What do you do for work down in Canonsburg?

Jim was part of the original ATA team. Very good instructor.

I'm at work now but I will send you some recommendations when I get home.

I work for Jacobs (engineering firm) in RIDC West - McLaren Road exit on 376 by the Airport. I used to work for Belden in Washington, PA.

Welcome.
Here are some local diving options:
Diving in PA State Parks?

The other close options are the quarries in Ohio and Dutch, Lake Erie, and driving to NJ/NY for some ocean diving.

Back
Top Bottom