Dive Master Training, Swim Test went back in class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For SDI, there is no point system. You either complete the swim(s) within the specified time or you get to start over and keep trying until you do. So I can't botch the swim but do well on every other skill for the course and pass. If I don't complete the swim(s) in the 10 minute limit for the 400 and 17 minute limit for the 800 fin kick, I don't pass and don't get to call myself a DM until I do.
In the PADI world, doing the 400 yard swim in 10 min would be a '3' (out of 5 possible). (To get a '5', it would have to be done in under 6 min.) Doing the 800 yard fin swim in 17 min would also be a '3'. (To get a '5', it would have to be done in under 13 min.) I say that because most candidates manage a '3' - some of them simply have to practice a bit. As I mentioned, it is very much a matter of setting a pace that keeps you in the range but doesn't wear you out, then using the last 50-100 yards to get you where you want to be. When candidates struggle it is frequently because they start out too strong and wear out.

If you can swim 400 yards at the required speed, the odds are you can swim 30 yards at a much faster pace and not be too winded to do whatever is necessary to perform the rescue.

I am not doing good on the swim tests and currently in a class. I completed them but got a low low score for the 15 treat and 400 yard swim. Any thoughts on how I can recover and still pass the class? I am starting to stress. I haven't swam in years but in am good shape and workout a lot. My technique with swimming is just bad. Thoughts?
I struggled with the watermanship tests during my (NAUI) ow class. I think we had to do a 5 minute tread, 60' underwater swim, and some long distance.. might have been 100 yards? Treading and distance surface swims couldn't have been easier. I couldn't do that 60' to save my life.

Lucky for me, there happened to be a swimming instructor who rented pool time from the dive shop. I signed up for a quick 1h class with him. It took about 10 minutes, he showed me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it, and I was then able to go almost double the required distance after that.

So.. find a swim instructor and take a quick class. It does require you to choke back some of your pride. The instructor had been teaching a couple of 6 year olds before he got to me and those kids probably could have done 250' underwater. When he got done with those kids and I had to explain what I was having trouble with, I was ashamed.

This is not meant to sound like a lecture but I'm thinking it will. And it's definitely not mean to be a criticism of Sh0rtBus, but simply using his post as a jumping off point. That being said . . .
I personally don't think my ability or lack thereof to be able to swim that distance at that pace makes me a bad DM.
I have always felt that being able to swim well is THE most important skill a DM needs to possess. In fact, when we still had Reef Seekers open and were doing trips almost every week, I would require my active DM to do a yearly pool swim test (400 yards, 10 minutes or less). Let me explain why.

First of all, DMing in CA is likely different than what many of you have experienced. For much of the diving world, DMing involves taking some certified divers on a guided dive and bringing them back to the boat. You're usually not too far away from them should something go wrong.

Not so out here. We rarely guide dives, we've got upwards of 35 people in the water all at the same time all over the place, and you're essentially acting not only as a dive supervisor checking people on an doff and watching the surface in a 360º manner, but you're the Rescue Swimmer should someone get in trouble.

I speak from experience when I tell you there nothing scarier than seeing a diver in obvious distress surface maybe 50 yards away, waving his/her arm for help, and you feel their life is on the line. You're not going to put on your fins. You're not going to grab your mask. You're going to jump off the boat in whatever state of dress or undress you are, and try to fly out to that person as quickly as you can in the hopes of stabilizing them on the surface, so you can then deal with the underlying issue. The fact that you got a 5 on treading water won't mean much to them.

Once/if you get them stabilized, assuming they're conscious, and assuming they're breathing, then you can take all the time in the world to do whatever needs to be done. But getting to them quickly is essential and that means being a good/quick swimmer, and not tiring yourself out and making you a second victim (as others have alluded to).

I mean let's be rational here....if you're having to free swim 400 yards (nearly 1/4 mile) to reach a distressed diver......
You likely won't be able to see a distressed diver 400 yards away (see the whole thread on Drifting Dan from 2005) so that's a moot point. [In the actual Drifting Dan trial, I had a picture of a diver 400 yards away and when we showed it while I was testifying, the first thing out of the opposing attoruney's mouth was, "Where????"]

10 minutes is going to be too slow.
Correct in that regard. But - again from a CA perspective - divers are rarely more than 100 to maybe 200 yards from the boat at any given point in their dive.

And chances are you're going to at least slap fins on your feet before you ever splash into the water....maybe a mask and snorkel too.
As I mentioned above, doubtful. You're wasting time. Get to them NOW.

Because you're going to want to breathe as much as you can and you're certainly going to need your vision by the time you get to said diver because in 10 minutes, it's highly probable that they're going to have dipped beneath the surface and without being able to see clearly underwater, your chances of finding them are seriously diminished.
You're right about that but here's the conundrum: How much time does it take for you to find your mask, find your fins, and put them all on? 30 seconds? 60 seconds? If by the time your masked/finned self gets to where they are but they've now sunk, could you have made it in time had you not gone for fins/mask? There's no right answer. It's simply something you have to consider.

Maybe I'm too jaded after watching divers for 40 years but being a DM isn't a merit badge, it's an important function is the chain of safety when diving. I know of stories where people haven't gotten to victims in time and they're sunk down and not survived. I'm convinced that I personally have gotten to more than one person under circumstances where if I had been delayed, it may not have had a positive outcome. No way to really know.

But what I can say, pretty much without fear of contradiction, is that no victim's ever going to complain and no peer is going to criticize you for getting to someone too quickly.

- Ken

I had to practice for several months before I took the test, just to have a chance of passing. I've kept up with the swimming, and it's been great for my health and diving.

Edit: I agree that as the sheepdog, I gotta be able to get to students fast, including grabbing them before they rocket to the surface. I don't know how many times I've heard them hold that inflator button and get to them just as they begin to launch.

I must've been away when this thread started, as I always comment on this.
The 400: I was on the HS swim team 40 years earlier but hadn't "swam" since (tons of snorkeling with fins doesn't count).
My technique & breathing was off. Couldn't even FINISH the 400 first try. Got advice on stroke, etc. from my 2 competitive swimming brothers and did pool laps once weekly for several months (this was a 100 mile round trip, so that's what I could afford with Canadian gas prices). Wound up with a "3".
If you have trouble with the 15 min. tread with hands out last 2 minutes, do it with drown-proofing.
There are many threads in Going Pro on all of this. This sub forum helped me a lot with all the DM course stuff a decade ago--especially thanks to "Joe Diver".

I understand why you have to be able to swim as a DM. But i wonder if there is any situation where you would be able to turn and push. They shouldn’t put a time limit or they should make it a openwater swim.
If something real happens and you need to swim that far, it will be faster to put your fins on before jumping in the water.
Yeah, there a bunch of stuff on this forum about that too. Of course you'd put at least fins on (if not mask and snorkel as well). A DM in the water without fins trying to rescue a panicked diver IMHO is probably virtually USELESS! Proper technique swimming is a life skill and only a very distant cousin to diving. I wrote a long post years ago here about how I would alter the PADI DM stamina tests--like making the 800 m/f/s 1200 yards instead of 800, but allowing use of arms (wouldn't you use arms with your fins on when doing a rescue??? No... I'd think, "can't use arms, not allowed".....). Even an old fart like me can go like a rocket with fins on and a forward crawl stroke. I had a couple of other ideas to make the tests not easier, but more practical for diving and divemastering. But, who am I?

I'm looking to do my DM soon as well. I'm a below average swimmer. Did a dive the other day with a fairly long surface swim in both directions. I took my time so as not to exhaust myself, but I know I need improvement, so I'm going to keep getting in the water. You can do it, just keep at it.

Just in case it helps someone. I'm currently doing the divemaster with PADI.

I'm not the best swimmer, and just missed getting 3 points on the 400 yard swim by 15 seconds. 10:15.

Tread water for 15min, hands out for last 2min was easy, got 5 points.

800 yard MSF (mask, snorkel, fins). A little tough. I got some free dive fins and took about 2min off my time. That is huge. A week before my test I went back to regular scuba fins, and tested 2min slower. A few days before the test I bought some fin keepers and took another 45sec off my time. I also practiced this swim for 2 months. On test day I did the 800 in 13:35, solid 4 points. My advice is practice, get freedive fins ($100 on amazon), and fin keepers $10 at LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom