Dive Rite Deco Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A used Scubapro piston (mk10,15,20,25) and a g250 can be had on eBay for less than this junk reg.
and parts for these or a even MK2 will be available long after you are old and quit diving. The DR one will be a challenge to service as soon as the "next" model is released

Well, if you can’t use it below 50’, I’d qualify it as junk :)

I also don’t think using color as an identifying method for gases is smart, but that really doesn’t have anything to do with the quality of the reg.

It also has an OPV... why? The 2nd stage is the OPV.

Maybe to make it convenient to repurpose as a drysuit inflator bottle reg? Or if the user prefers a setup where they keep the valve on and put an inline shutoff to the reg?

I don't know. Just speculating.

They’ve put a 2nd stage on a cheap suit inflation regulator. o_O

I’d go for something that was actually intended for breathing with... Breathing off a ****** reg on deco gets old quick.

It breathes fine at 6m/20ft. I was gifted one for some work I did, dove it twice, both times for 6m O2 stops. BUT, it will end up being a backup inflation bottle reg. My biggest issue is that you physically cannot use it for anything other than a shallow deco bottle or suit inflation. That makes it a one trick pony, which is lame.

It’s also another service kit I have to keep around for each stage. Which is lame.

It also has a dinky little gauge. Fine for inflation, lame for anything else. Extra lame.

While it works for O2 deco, it’s a much better inflation reg, and pretty much any other reg is better from a utility standpoint.

That being said, if you have one and want to use it, drive on. It works as intended for what it’s marketed for. It’s lame, but I wouldn’t call it junk, it’s functional, just not ideal, especially for the cost.

$320 :noway: this is the same reg several websites and every dive shop around me is showing a listed prive of $219.

As for the reg I know a few folks that have one and like it. I'm thinking about getting one. Just thinking.

I'm in the camp that any regulator should be able to do any duty in a pinch. That means for me even keeping my back gas regs clean. I use apeks but any en250, current regulator should suffice. That's my minimum standard, you should have one too.

$320 :noway: this is the same reg several websites and every dive shop around me is showing a listed prive of $219.

As for the reg I know a few folks that have one and like it. I'm thinking about getting one. Just thinking.

I wouldn't purposely seek one out for a deco reg. The first stage for a suit inflation reg, sure.

I got one as an impulse buy when another deco reg was out for servicing and my finances were not very liquid, cash being mostly overseas at the time. I paid way less than US$219 (a few years ago; don't recall the fine details).

It's just fine for oxygen, and I never use it for anything else.

Would I prefer to have another reg that's identical to my primaries? Sure, for the reasons others have mentioned above.

But it was really cheap and available when I needed an O2 reg, and I am happy to continue using it at 6 meters or shallower.

I wouldn't pay US$320 for it, though; that's outrageous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom