Hi everyone, I’m Cadence!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tao of the Dive

Rabid Otter Spotter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone, my name is Cadence. You might be asking yourself why someone who has been a member since 2004 would be posting in the introductions and greets section.

You know, a funny thing happened since then and now, and I felt it relevant enough to reintroduce myself and allow people old and new to get to know the real me.

Back in 2015, I finally came out carefully to select friends and family as transgender. I then began a very slow process of transition as well as coming out to other friends and family along the way.

At one point in my transition, I would have been content to simply transition and simply melt back into society, another face in the crowd. My transition however graced me with other options.

Even as common as it is for trans people to be out and known, a great deal of people have never personally encountered someone of trans nature (either knowingly or even unknowingly in some cases) and certainly have never had a trans person who was willing to be a resource; answer questions they had, even if they would usually be offensive. So I make myself available to those questions, but I also try to make it known when a question would be offensive so that the asking party will not think it’s appropriate to ask just anyone.

While I may be the same person I was when I joined Scubaboard as a brand new diver, my experiences have changed me. I express myself more openly, I am not as cautious or as reserved; people no longer experience me through a filter, and I no longer have to express myself through a male filter. So to me, all of my interactions feel more real, far more sincere as well. So to some people who knew me before, may feel that I have in fact changed. Deep down I know I have not. Maybe coming out here is my way of helping people parse that change in the dynamics of who Tao “was”, versus who Tao is now.

Anyhow, it’s a pleasure to still be here, be a part of this community, and enjoy the varied thoughts, perspectives and experiences of other divers from around the world. Happy and safe diving to all of you and I hope we get to chat soon.

Ever & Always,
Cadence

Well, hello, Cadence.

Very strong and powerful greeting.

I just joined this community and diving in general but wanted to extend a congratulations on finding your real voice/self.

Thank you Craig! I hope you’ve received a warm welcome here. In all my time here I’ve enjoyed the wealth of knowledge, humor, friendship, and sense of community this forum provides. It was those same things that made me somewhat excited to come out here.

The timing of this coming out is important that when the Spring Megadive for 2019 is planned in the Florida groups, I’ll be going to a Scubaboard event/ Megadive as Cadence for the first time. So I wanted to be considerate and try not to catch anybody by surprise and just show up.

My real voice and identity certainly are late to the party, but my life is all the better now, and I have never been at such a positive and powerful point in my life.

Thank you Ryan T!

Welcome back to SB Cadence! Regardless of who you used to be and who you might be now, above all else you're a diver! Glad you finally found yourself and feel comfortable in your own skin. Now throw on that gear and blow some bubbles!

Bubbles are always a good plan!

Hey there Cadence! Welcome on board. What I love about diving is that it brings together people from so many backgrounds. I am grateful that I have made friends that I would never have made if I did not jump in the water.

You did not write much about your diving interests. Wrecks? Reefs? Caves? Tech? CCR? What is your poison?

Oops! Leave it to me to leave out the important stuff!

Well, I’ve been certified since 2004. I’ve moved along to nitrox, Advanced, medic. I enjoy black water dives, wreck dives, various caves and caverns in the cavern zone, and I have a passion towards learning to cave dive at some point.

Various locations I’ve dove are Mexico, Bonaire, Curaçao, Puerto Rico, Various locations in the Bahamas, black water megalodon tooth diving in the Santee Cooper in South Carolina and various mountain lakes in North and South Carolina.

Wrecks I’ve been on include the Hooker in Bonaire, the USS Oriskany, and Spiegle Grove. All in all I have somewhere near 500+ dives logged, and plenty more I never logged.

Back
Top Bottom