Exposure suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida natives will be staying out of the water right now, they think temperatures like 74F are icy cold and they can't deal with that.

But a 2-3mm wetsuit and a light hood should be more than most folks would need. If you're hearty and don't et cold easily, even a skinsuit would be enough to keep you warm. If you're going into deeper water for longer periods...Some folks think they need more, but the question is, what are you used to?

And to check what the water temps are right now, for this year. They have been known to vary a bit.

Shallow inshore water can get chilly if thre is a deep freeze. Did some shore dives at Canon beach at Pennacamp during a deep freeze spell. Water in the bay was in the 60s. But that was a record cold. It also depends on how much you move. If you are a swimmer that keeps moving you stay warmer. If you move very little and just look at stuff, the cold can seep in. Plus BHB dives can last over an hour. I will be down there in a couple months and will do a 3 + hooded vest. But I am from NC and not FL.

Mid to upper 70s for me means a 1mm skinsuit, but I'm from NJ where anything over 70F is considered warm water. I use a 3mm when the water is in the low 70s, a 5mm if a little colder than that, and these days no diving at all in anything to cold for a 5mm.

Florida local - East Coast - 5mm plus 3mm gloves and 4mm boots.
West Coast - Add in my 5mm hood, but we don't have any visibility so... yeah.

I really need to pick up a boat coat as the surface intervals are often colder to me than the water.

I'm in pompano and tbh this time of year I dive dry... I could probably manage with a 5 mil but the surface interval is terrible on the boat when the temp is in the 60s.

Florida natives will be staying out of the water right now, they think temperatures like 74F are icy cold and they can't deal with that.

But a 2-3mm wetsuit and a light hood should be more than most folks would need. If you're hearty and don't et cold easily, even a skinsuit would be enough to keep you warm. If you're going into deeper water for longer periods...Some folks think they need more, but the question is, what are you used to?

And to check what the water temps are right now, for this year. They have been known to vary a bit.
If from Rhode Island where temps are usually on the chillier side. Thanks for the input.

traveling to LBTS in two weeks. What are people wearing at that time for wetsuits?

I'm in Riviera Beach right now. Inshore was 75 yesterday, BHB was about the same today. I'm in a 3mm, or what used to be 3mm, it's seem somethings. I have a pretty good cold tolerance though. If you don't mind hoods, a 3mm and hooded vest would be my ideal exposure protection for this, but I didn't bring it since I was told the water was going to be closer to 80.

Hasn't been 80 in a while.

For recreational type dives here during the winter I'm content to wear a 5mm suit and light hooded vest. For deep dives, long exposures, or consecutive multi-dive days I dive dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom