Is a long hose cumbersome on dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, what about being on a recreational dive boat with 11 other people where everyone is gearing up shoulder to shoulder? Does a 7' hose get in other people's way and make a tangled mess?)

Only if you and/or the other people(s) "make a tangled mess." Hose length is irrelevant unless you're a wanton slob draping you hose willey-nilley where ever you please... and the short-hosers are doing the same thing.

It can if you don’t take steps to manage it.

Keep it coiled up and clipped when you’re not wearing it.

Jaggaloons who leave their hoses a mess aren’t cool.

Yeah, they made us polish them too.

Don't ask me why the heads on the Spree were always so clean.
You made Melanie chortle.

I never found using long hose cumbersome in anywhere that I have been dived.
On recreational dive I just tuck the excess length under the waist harness(BP/W).

I do not dive a long hose, but most of my boat diving is not on a six pack. In NC on the dive boats you see lots of folks with long hoses and lots who do not have long hoses. Some of my buddies dive long hoses, some do not. I have never seen anybody having any trouble with them.

I tried a long hose for about two ocean dives and decided it was way more hose than I needed. Since I like the primary donate, I got a 40" hose for my primary and route it under my arm. That's an option to consider if you think the long hose is too much.

Ken

Even without a bolt snap on the hose, they are not an issue.
_dsc1183-jpg.491055.jpg

Merry's kit on the left, mine on the right

Even without a bolt snap on the hose, they are not an issue.
View attachment 500082
Merry's kit on the left, mine on the right
Had that rig been on my boat, you would have smashed Merry’s second stage.

I guess I'm in the minority here; I'm going to say that the long hose is a minor nuisance. Can you make it work? Sure, but it's one more thing to keep track of, one more loose end. I have a long hose on my twinset regs but on single cylinder dives I use a 40" hose routed under my arm with an elbow at the 2nd stage. I think that's sufficient for any dive that doesn't involve a cave or penetration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom