Maldives or Indonesia/Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the last 5 years I have been diving in several places in Indonesia.
I'm studying new places for 2020.

Will Maldives be a good choice or Indonesia , Philippines have better places to dive?

I like underwater photography and travel alone .

Yes, Maldives would be a good choice.

I dove all over Indonesia in the last 11 years (Alor, Ambon, Bali, Komodo, Bangka, Lembeh, Bunaken, Maratua Atoll, Raja Ampat, Wakatobi) and then last month I went to Maldives for change. I'm glad I did.

I'm writing the Maldives trip report that hopefully would be finished in couple of days. In the meantime, here are some of the videos from that trip that give you some feeling of what you might see there.

Maldives maybe very disappointting if you are looking for great coral reefs and lots of variety.
Of course you'll see many usual sharks and rays, i guess you also like current, tourist resorts and that you are ready to pay twice the price of diving and lodging, otherwise you may give it a miss.
Personally and compared to most of Indonesia & Philippines, I think it's one of the most overrated places to dive.

I read you like UW photography then you can only bring your wide angle since there is zilch interesting macro, a pity you're alone as Maldives is mostly a honeymoon place.

It will be expensive to travel around Maldives ie island hoping. No such worry in both Indonesia and Philippines.
If the OP has been to several places in Indonesia then perhaps it is time to explore Philippines.
Anilao is well known for macro.
Malapascua for the thresher shark.
Tubattaha which is only available on LoB from mid Mar to mid June.
Coron has several WWII wrecks.
This are several more.....
The cost of living is LOW and that includes diving rate.

I've been to the Maldives, no desire to go back. Been several time each to Indonesia and Philippines. Going back.

For Maldives, you need to go on liveaboard. It’s actually cheaper than Raja Ampat. For example, Maldives Aggressor II for 11D/10N November 2019 is about $4000, compare to Raja Ampat Aggressor for also 11D/10N November 2019 is about $4700. Both liveaboards are under the same management & ownership. I met & talked with one of the owners of both liveaboards, Maciej when I was in Maldives Aggressor II last month. He was there.

I’ve seen enough pretty corals & muck diving in Indonesia in the last 11 years and now want to see something different, more pelagic. I have seen tons of fish in my last month liveaboard trip to Maldives as you see in my videos. So, it depends on what your interest is. Different strokes for different folks.

$4,000.00 - $4,700.00 for 11 days.
I can live and dive at several locations in Philippines for a month and with enough change to buy pasalubong as well as pay for the round trip airfare.

For Maldives, you need to go on liveaboard. It’s actually cheaper than Raja Ampat. For example, Maldives Aggressor II for 11D/10N November 2019 is about $4000, compare to Raja Ampat Aggressor for also 11D/10N November 2019 is about $4700. Both liveaboards are under the same management & ownership. I met & talked with one of the owners of both liveaboards, Maciej when I was in Maldives Aggressor II last month. He was there.
But the thing is that you don't need to go on a liveaboard to dive Raja Ampat for instance, and going on a liveaboard in the Maldives doesn't guarantee you to see lots of things either, it will depend for example on the ability of the cruise director to go looking for mantas or whale sharks in season.
It takes a while to get bored with Indo and you can't get bored neither say you have seen it all before diving Raja Ampat, Komodo or Alor (even though I dived them all, I still keep on returning). I think the OP hasn't dived them so far.

I’ve seen enough pretty corals & muck diving in Indonesia in the last 11 years and now want to see something different, more pelagic. I have seen tons of fish in my last month liveaboard trip to Maldives as you see in my videos. So, it depends on what your interest is. Different strokes for different folks.
Well Dan : no offense, but what I see in the videos is mainly divers and fish of the same kind at feeding station. Of course I agree you will see more sharks and rays than Indonesia or Phils with some exceptions : OTOH head to Tubbataha in season and you'll probably see more kind of sharks than in the Maldives.
As per PPina's interest, he says UW photography is one, this is where I think I can give my advise : Maldives is not very UWphoto friendly, as there' ll be lots of current, sharks in the distance, or a hump of divers swimming after the same whale shark and very little colors to fit in the frame. Don't even think about macro.

That's why my advice for him as a photographer would be to look into a list of all the "good" and photogenic areas in SEA before he ruins himself on a liveaboard or get bored with mundane dive centres and mediocre divers in a honeymoon resort (I am not the only european diver who pretends that for the Maldives ) : try first Raja Ampat, Komodo, Kalimaya/Sumbawa, Alor, Bali, Triton bay in Indonesia, Sipadan in Malaysia, Tubbataha+Anilao in the Philippines, they're all good and different then decide whether you're tired of it and want to see something else than extraordinary reefs, loads of fish and awesome macro.
If you need to see something exceptional in between, go to Reunion island or Tonga for whales, Mozambique for the sardine run, South Africa for white sharks but TBH i see nothing exceptional in the Maldives (except maybe for the price of the diving) .

$4,000.00 - $4,700.00 for 11 days.
I can live and dive at several locations in Philippines for a month and with enough change to buy pasalubong as well as pay for the round trip airfare.

It's all relative. I can do the same in Indonesia.

The liveaboard example that I posted above is a mid to upper class liveaboard ($400-470/night), doing 4 dives/day. I have taken budget liveaboards in Komodo & Raja Ampat for half the cost ($200-235/night) too and 50% higher cost ($600-700/night) in Galapagos & Cocos.

...Well Dan : no offense, but what I see in the videos is mainly divers and fish of the same kind at feeding station. Of course I agree you will see more sharks and rays than Indonesia or Phils with some exceptions : OTOH head to Tubbataha in season and you'll probably see more kind of sharks than in the Maldives....

You are right as far as corals, Indonesia is much better, but Maldives underwater showed something new to me. I have never seen schooling nurse shark during a night dive and tons of rays swimming around.

Also another interesting night dive was where the crew put light at the sea bottom to attract plankton for manta to feed on. Seeing manta looping around in front of me and almost scooping my camera off my hand, ducking down my head as it swam so closely overhead, were interesting new diving experiences. I could see the end of its throat as it came towards me to scoop those plankton that were crowding around my video light.

To see lots of mantas & sharks, I would go to the eastern Pacific, places like Galapagos, Cocos & Socorro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom