Vacation divers - when did you decide to buy your own gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hooked immediately. We had most of our own gear including BCD, computer and reg set before our first dives after ow class. Worth evey penny.

I bought new mask and fins almost immediately. The first set was bought from the shop and was their “starter set.” Wore the wetsuit till it lost its insulation. After 5 years I switched from my original travel BCD to the Freedom Plate and bought a new computer. The new computer was more necessity then desire although I did eventually buy a Petrel for the shear joy of it. I still dive my original regulator set.

I purchased all my own gear after maybe 20 dives or so. I knew it was a hobby I was going to keep doing so in the long run it would be cheaper to buy than rent and like most folks, I like diving with my own equipment. I know it works and has been taken care of. If you see yourself doing this for years to come, by all means buy.

As far as carrying your gear when you travel like on a plane, for me, it's no hassle at all. I have a travel BC (Scubapro Litehawk) and I can pack that, my fins, wetsuit, regs, any backup gear, and clothes and I am maybe around 40 to 45 pounds at most. One suitcase carries it all. I'll take my primary mask and computer in my carry-on.

I will put in a plug for the Scubapro Litehawk. SP makes excellent BC's. Once I started diving the Litehawk, I sold my other BC and this is the only one I own now. It's absolutely perfect for the diving I do. I can't see me ever switching.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

My son and I bought complete gear in 2002, after 40 dives. We also got nitrox certified. A computer and a nitrox cert are probably the biggest single improvement you can make in your diving. I'm now at 1700 dives, a very good investment :)

I learned how to dive while I was in Panama City FL for work. I knew I was hooked immediately but I also knew that I hate the cold so I would be a destination diver. Obviously, while on the course, I used the gear that was supplied by the dive shop.

When I got back home, however, I went in to the local dive shop and I had a full set of gear before I went on my first trip. Here was my logic: If I rent, I would be paying somebody and getting nothing that I would be keeping for my money. I would also have no idea how well (or even if) the equipment was maintained. Even if I bought entry level gear (which I did) and upgraded relatively quickly (which I did) I would have my own gear. I would know how it was maintained. I would become familiar with it and I would know how to use it (especially the computer).

My LDS was a Sherwood dealer, so all of my first purchase was Sherwood. I got a Cayman BCD, a Brut reg and a ReSource Dive computer. The BCD was a jacket style, and I soon found (one trip) that I didn't really like it and I switched to a back inflate style. My "Brut" reg was aptly maned. It was "bullet-proof" and I used it for several years until I switched it out for a Sherwood Maximus. Much like my BCD, however, I never was terribly impressed by my first dive computer and it was replaced after a couple trips.

So, after my first trip, I had decided that I disliked my BCD enough that it needed to be replaced immediately and I wasn't impressed by my DC.

Did I regret buying my gear right away?

No. Not really. Diving is a learning process. I stand by the decision even though I wound up replacing much of my gear fairly quickly. I learned that I and I alone was responsible to ensure that my gear was maintained. I knew that it was done "by the books" and if there were any problems, I knew that they were addressed before I used the gear again. I knew that I would be using a DC that I was familiar with and that knew how to use. There was never any doubt about whether I was getting well maintained gear or whether the mouthpiece on the reg had been properly dis-infected since the last time it had been used. (I really did not want to get "cooties" from the last person who used that reg.)

There are advantages and disadvantages to either owning your own gear or to renting it at the destination. I can tell you what I did and whether that worked for me, but ultimately you will have to read the posts, and make up your own mind as to what you believe will be best for you. There is no right answer, and there is no wrong answer, but for each person there is an answer that is better than the others.

Good luck and have fun!

I had a complete set of my own gear, including two cylinders, for my OW checkout dives. Also, I'm someone who gets into an activity full bore. A year later, most of that initial purchase was gone or collecting dust as far as the big-ticket items. Mainly due to figuring out that the diving I wanted to get into required different gear. I could have saved a couple thousand dollars buying used at first until I figured out what I wanted to do and then bought my second set of gear first.
If you are sure that you are only going to be a warm water, vacation only diver then you may be ok buying an entry-level set of gear from Leisure Pro. If there is any chance of you diving cooler water or joining a club to dive locally, don't invest in a travel BC.
Invest in a BC that can be used for travel and local diving. I have an essay on a type of BC that is completely modular, you fit it to you, is often less expensive than some travel BCs, and can handle all of your single tank diving. Whether in a rash guard and shorts or a dry suit.
There are also complete reg sets suited to the same purposes for a reasonable cost. I can put a diver in a set of gear, BC and regs that could be used for tech diving, for under $900.
If you send me an email to jimlap212@comcast.net
I'll send you an 11 page article that I've sent to dozens of people to help them choose a first set of gear.

Did my OW and AOW checkout with rental gear in 2016. Bought a 3mil wetsuit and computer shortly after, prior to going to Bonaire (2017) for a week and knew I was hooked after that trip. Started shopping around and picked up a Zeagle Stiletto at a good price and decided to drop some money on a nice Atomic Z3 reg. Regret the reg a bit, but it has been performing outstanding compared to the rental regs. Since then, I've been on 2x 7-day live-aboards and plan to checkout some colder water diving up in WA, and lake diving around home in Utah. Still working on deciding on a Caribbean trip this year, usually try to do at least one week-long scuba-focused trip each year.

As far as lugging the gear around on flights, not a big deal for me, but checked baggage doesn't cost me anything extra on U.S. carriers. I feel there are huge benefits in having all the gear adjusted to my liking, weighting is constant/known, accessory attachments in place, only my mouth has touched the mouthpiece and not having to configure a rental setup every time. I also know most of the gear will last for years to come.

Hi Purbeast! I bought my bcd and regulator around 45 dives. I was headed to Bali by myself and wanted my own equipment to increase my comfort level....which it did. Got a good deal from LeisurePro. I have mask, fins, 3mm wetsuit, shorty, Suunto computer, Cressi bcd, AL reg, camera and strobe, SMB, and light. Not a lot compared to most here on SB. But I now know buying this stuff is fun and a bit addictive.

I bought my dive computer, camera, and strobe used off SB. Not really knowing what I'd end up liking, needing and wanting I like to try things out the cheaper way first. I had the opportunity to dive using the Shearwater Perdix while in Curaçao on the Surge (thank you Bruce and Lynn from Shearwater) and that will be my next purchase before our next trip. It's incredibly intuitive, user friendly for a rec diver like me, but will support more technical dives. And I can EASILY see it underwater!!!

Biggest learning for me, in terms of gear, is not to try too many new things at once. So this last trip I used the first 2 dives to get comfortable in the water. Next two dives brought out the camera and strobe. Then I put those away and tried out the Shearwater computer. I'm still a relatively new diver and want to stay safe and not overly distracted by new toys.

Have fun and enjoy this wonderful sport!!!

After issues with rental suit on OW check out dives I bought a suit (3 different thickness suits actually)
Being a rather large and oddly proportioned man, i was never quite comfortable in rental bcds so i researched and bought a hydros pro bcd. I love it. Its light, adjusts to fit me really well, and dries almost instantly. It also has enough lift for my cold water diving without being overbearing on warm water diving.

Dive computer was immediately after my ow checkouts. I researched and knew I wanted AI, but didnt want or need the bells and whistles of most AI computers. I settled on a Suunto Vyper Novo because it gave me enough options to grow, simple interface, and more conservative algorithm. With a little more experience I wish I had made the jump to a Perdix, but I am satisfied with my original purchase.

After an issue on set up with a rental reg at my AOW weekend, my instructor leant me his personal AL Legend supreme. I bought one directly after because of the comfort and ease of breathing. I suggest this as your next piece of gear. Spend more now and compromise less on your reg set. Not saying go most expensive, just spend top end of your budget on whatever type you end up liking.

Tanks I wouldnt suggest unless you dive local and then only If you do it ALOT.

I preferred to have pretty much all my own gear asap, i dont trust anyone enough to blindly hope they followed service protocol for all that rental gear. I also experienced rental gear failure and issues fairly early on, so it reinforced that for me.

100% Caribbean and Florida "vacation diver" here. I like it warm and clear, water here in Quebec is neither.

I've had my mask and fins for a long time, I snorkel a lot and did many "discover scuba" excursions while on cruises so I bought quality stuff I could "grow into" when getting my OW cert.

When I finally had time to get certified, I bought a computer right after but kept on renting wetsuit, bcd and reg.

Finally after a malfunction with a rental reg that cut one of my dives short, I decided to put together a travel set (lightweight travel BCD and a reg set).

C09E7BDC-0036-4D05-98CE-8A6B5CB59DE1.jpeg
I had my basic stuff before my OW class. Mask, fins, snorkel, and knife along with a bag to carry everything. After I started I knew I was hooked so I started slowly building up my equipment. First purchase was my Mares quad computer. Came across it for sale for $270 shipped new so I jumped on that.
I’m now 11 dives in since getting certified in sep and I just finished assembling my regulator set. I did piece it together buying everything separately but I scored some great sales over the holidays. Everything was purchased new.
Now I’m looking into my bcd purchase. I’ve been researching a lot of different models and features etc. I trained with jacket type but I did my first discover dive with a back inflate which i prefer. I do dive locally in Florida but I also travel a lot to warm weather places and have already dove in st marteen on vacation. So weight is a consideration for my BCD, because of that I have decided to go with a Back plate wing set up rather than a traditional bcd style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom