Is vintage style oval mask more challenging to equalize under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat6699

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this Gull Abyss oval mask in a dive shop in Japan and was really attracted to the design.
Should I be concerned that it would take much more effort to equalize this particular mask under water?

View media item 207026

I assume you mean equalize your rears. It is a bit more difficult due to the way you have to do it. The design of the nose pockets makes it very difficult to pinch your nose with one hand so most people use both index fingers to pinch the nose. If you are one of the lucky ones who don't need to hold your nose when you clear, then it's not different. An alternative method that IMO does not work quite as well is to hold the mask against your face with one hand and blow through your nose. This is the method used before nose pockets were introduced. They are a bit more difficult to clear water from since they have a bit more volume, it may take a second try to get all the water out. There are a number of people who still like them and photographers like them on their subjects because the eyes show up better in the photo.

Vintage Double hose has a nice one that is inexpensive Store | Vintage Double Hose

Yeah, one hand is ok.
I have one simular and this is how I do it.

20190118_090225.jpg
20190118_090245.jpg

Your palm will rest on your second stage.

I saw this Gull Abyss oval mask in a dive shop in Japan and was really attracted to the design.
Should I be concerned that it would take much more effort to equalize this particular mask under water?

View media item 207026

Kat...

I'd be more concerned with ''clearing'' due to the volume...

A low volume mask is always easier to clear than a high volume...

The smaller the air space...the less water if flooded...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Equalizing on scuba is just as easy oval or rectangular. Clearing is 1/20th of a breath more air due to the larger volume needing displaced... Not a significant amount.

Equalizing on scuba is just as easy oval or rectangular. Clearing is 1/20th of a breath more air due to the larger volume needing displaced... Not a significant amount.
Makes sense since everyone should be able to clear a mask easily with one big blow.

I have a mask like this that I have used a few times in a pool, but never in an OW dive. What everyone said above is my experience as well. It's hard to reach your nose when you have a reg in your mouth with this mask. My biggest complaint is that I don't trust the strap enough to use it on an OW dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom