Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent trip report, thanks for sharing. I couldn’t agree more about diving in Bail, it’truly wonderful.

Best fishes x

I must have read that report 10 times now. only one month to go until I'll be able to see all those critters for myself.

Based on your Raja Ampat trip report, I'm already planning an "excursion" to RA next year if this whole Indonesia thing works out. I was always expecting to have to sell another kidney to afford a LOB and it's single supplement but that RA homestay, they speak my language.

I’m glad to hear that you are finding the trip report helpful.

Traveling in Indonesia can be a real bargain, especially if you don’t mind roughing it a little bit. Bali has some of the nicest low cost hotels I have ever stayed at.

The homestays on Raja Ampat are a bit more rustic, but really charming at the same time.

I’m excited that you are going for it. I really doubt either trip will disappoint you!

I recently had the chance to do some diving in Amed and Tulamben on the East Coast of Bali. The muck diving there was sensational. Here is the full trip report, in case anyone is looking to dive here:

My Mola: Holy Muck Diving Tulamben and Amed Bali

This was a great read - I'm going to dive with Liberty Dive Resort in just over a week and can't wait to explore the dive sites. :)

This should be a good time of year to go to Tulamben. Hope the mola mola are around for you!

This was a great read - I'm going to dive with Liberty Dive Resort in just over a week and can't wait to explore the dive sites. :)

Hi! I was wondering how your experience was with Liberty Dive Resort. I'm considering diving with them in the summer. Were all the dives shore dives? I've got some back and knee problems lately and have wondered if shore diving would be too difficult. It has been years since I did any shore diving. Any comments about the dive resort (good/bad) would be useful as well. Thanks!

I didn't stay at Liberty Dive Resort but I did dive that site a number of times.

The beach is rocky, as in loose rocks and I came to nickname it "ankle-breaker beach" however I saw lots of people entering/exiting the water while their guide carried their gear into/out of the water for them. This, so I'm told is a very common practice as there are a fair number of older people staying and diving in Tulamben.

There's even a rope that stretches across the beach and into the water so you can pull yourself out of the water.

I even heard a story about an 86 year old Swiss woman who dives Tulamben every year and that story was told to me by a 75 year old German woman who was sitting on the beach waiting for her guide.

I found getting in and out of the water to be tough also, especially when the swells start to pick up. The water is super calm once you are in, it's just the steep slope of grapefruit sized rounded lava rocks right at the surf line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom