Weighting Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrprospect

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I dive on a twinset, on a WTX-60R Apeks Wing with a steel backplate. When diving on an aluminum twinset, with a 7mm wetsuit, I need 8 kg of weight which I manage by placing a 5 kg V-weight in the middle of the twinset and then a 3 kg lead weight tied on one of the tanks. On a recent dive, the tank weight fell off suddenly but thankfully it was during a non-critical part of the dive (before being in deco) and I managed to safely abort and surface.

Are there any suggestions for alternative weighting configurations given the wing type/backplate I use? I have now become very wary of tying lead around a tank. Also while the V-weight is convenient with aluminum tanks, it does not work with steel ones.

Why not steel doubles and remove the V-wt? ..also, carry some weight in ditchable format. (ie..old fashioned weight belt).

Steel doubles are not readily available at all dive centers/boats I dive with. As to weight belt, (a) it is not terribly comfortable on BPW/harness and (b) not helpful with trim as it tends to sink the legs.

you can attach a bolt-on "P-weight" into the backplate groove (you can fit up to 5kg / 11pounds of lead there) and it is also possible to use thicker steel backplate if you haven't already done that.

it is possible to bolt ditchable weight pockets to the both sides of the backplate if you need them.

as for tie on tank weights, I like to attach bicycle inner tube bands to the cam bands holding the weight pocket in place. Adds lots of extra friction to hold the pocket there. you could also use a safety wire type of solution to ensure that the pocket does not fall completely off if the cam band becomes loose

well, if you must dive Alu then just keep your V-weight.. weight belt the remaining 3kg. Soft weights if comfort is an issue, and you can also fix weight pockets on your harness, but I'd rather opt to have some weight independent of the main rig.

Hello,

I dive on a twinset, on a WTX-60R Apeks Wing with a steel backplate. When diving on an aluminum twinset, with a 7mm wetsuit, I need 8 kg of weight which I manage by placing a 5 kg V-weight in the middle of the twinset and then a 3 kg lead weight tied on one of the tanks. On a recent dive, the tank weight fell off suddenly but thankfully it was during a non-critical part of the dive (before being in deco) and I managed to safely abort and surface.

Are there any suggestions for alternative weighting configurations given the wing type/backplate I use? I have now become very wary of tying lead around a tank. Also while the V-weight is convenient with aluminum tanks, it does not work with steel ones.
Use a weight belt.

Simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom