I quit smoking and have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm told addictive food-like substances with low nutritional value and high propensity to ***ck up lipid and sugar metabolism are a much costlier health problem in these united states. Yet no-one accuse Mc'Ronald of being full of deceptive amoral misantropes... Funny, that.

You said your daughter has asthma. I assume she has a rescue inhaler (Albuterol). Have her show you how to take a couple good 'hits' off it. Wait about 15 minutes, then try the PF again and see if it's the same or you get a noticeable bump up. Do at least 3 good blows, and at least a minute apart to make sure you are not getting some technique outliers.
Actually, read this, maybe even do a search on youtube on [How to use a metered dose inhaler]. Interestingly the majority of inhaler users have poor technique so until proven otherwise I would not trust your daughter's technique.

A couple hits of Albuterol are pretty harmless, along the lines of a double espresso. If your airways are fully open it won't do anything. If you bump up 10%, well, that's interesting. If you bump up 20% or more you do have an issue.

You do NOT want to use any steroid inhaler for this. It won't work for this experiment, and it's for long term control of asthma.

I'm told addictive food-like substances with low nutritional value and high propensity to ***ck up lipid and sugar metabolism are a much costlier health problem in these united states. Yet no-one accuse Mc'Ronald of being full of deceptive amoral misantropes... Funny, that.

Noted. And there are people that make assertions like that and try to do something about it. Nutrition guidelines that have to be posted are about as useful, probably less useful, than cigarette warning.
IMO, the sugar industry is absolutely full of deceptive amoral misanthropes. They KNOW their products are junk and bad for people. But in America $$$ rule most everything.If it ain't flat illegal, must be OK to do. If it is illegal, why there must be a loophole to exploit.

People do have to eat. No one has to smoke.
If you want to improve your diet with one simple step, never eat out anywhere, especially fast food. Most of it is pretty bad.

Oh yeah, she has a rescue inhaler with Albuterol, and another with Advair, and a nebulizer fir albuterol, and more. She has had problem most pf her life.
I will try the inhaler this evening.

What do I need to do to check for COPD?
I work fairly hard outdoors but not as much now that I am a supervisor.
My daughter has asthma and her pulmonologist gave her some plastic things to check her breathing. So far on both the inhale and exhale tests I am good.

A primary care practitioner can evaluate you and order order a radiologic study if he or she thinks it's warranted. I would advise caution with using someone else's medical equipment and medication. If a physician thinks you need it he or she can order it and supervise its use.

Best regards,
DDM

I ran out of first stage patches a week ago. I was really wanting to get off all nicotine so I didn’t get more.
So far I’m good.

Now, if the Mountain Cedar pollen would stay out of North Texas I could really feel good

Those can be hard I quit 12 years ago after smoking for 30 some years.

They do get fewer and milder as time goes on. If you're not still on the patch get some nicotine gum to help you get past the worst of them.

Back
Top Bottom