What is your highest certification?

Your highest certification

• OW

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • AOW

Votes: 60 21.4%
  • Rescue

Votes: 67 23.8%
  • MSD (have card, not only meeting requirements)

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DM

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • DM, MSD obtained after

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • DM, MSD obtained before

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Instructor

Votes: 27 9.6%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained after

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained before

Votes: 21 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padi just 15 dives for msd? With cmas proof of 250. A huge difference.

And yes, to give a complete overview we need to put in the techcourses also. But there are also a lot of tech instructor levels, that will make a long list :D

Wrong. Don't believe all the "facts" in this thread.
But ok, if you do ow+aow+rescue and 5 specialties, then you have 30-40 dives. I used google and found 50 dives.
It is not that something is wrong, but I read 15 vs 250 and that is a huge difference. With 50 vs 250 it is still a huge difference.
With cmas you must be 3*, so divemaster, that is also a difference. But being DM or not, it does not say anything about skills.

Found this, master scuba diver from different agencies most have a minimum of 50 dives:
Master Scuba Diver - Wikipedia

PADI: You can take maybe up to or close to 5 specialties that don't even INCLUDE any diving, making the
MSD a joke.

Rubbish. Did you get your DM Cert out of a Cereal Packet?

PADI MSD required , OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 Speciality certs and a Minimum of 50 dives.

Google is your friend especially if you're going to quote basic requirements which are there for all to view

There are specieltias without diving, nitrox for example. Or the chamber specialty.
Other specialties are just for fun, but will not train anything about dive skills like biology, sea slug, zombi, etc.
So a diver with aow and rescue and 50 dives without specialties is as good as a msd.

The best conclusion is that MSD ist just something to make money, but has nothing to do with becoming a better diver. And divers are sensitive for it.
Rescue doesn't help you to become a better diver of itself if nothing goes wrong. It is about the emergencies. But with rescue a lot depends on your instructor.

Specialties are part of the business modell of diving. I always joke that kids do swimminglessens and get the certs 'A', 'B' and 'C'. And if you are adults, people like to have as much cards as possible. :D

DM has nothing to do with real diveskills to make better fintechniques, better bouyancy, better trim. Then it is better to follow an entry level technical diving course like advanced nitrox. The goal of a DM course is completely different as it includes guiding, skills for beginners (most times still teached on knees), etc.

If a diver goes from AOW to technical diving, he can be a better diver than an owsi. What is the highest level then?

After owsi there are instructorlevels like adv. nitrox instructor, blender instructor, sidemount tech instructor, intro to cave instructor, full cave instructor, normoxic trimix instructor, full trimix instructor, ccr instructor, ccr normoxic instructor, ccr full tx instructor, adv. cave sidemount instructor, etc. Here adv. nitrox is lower than normoxic. But ccr normoxic is same as oc normoxic. To go from adv. nitrox to normoxic trimix instructor you have to do a new instructor course, have teached X times adv. nitrox, assist in some normoxic tx courses and pass the exam. Same again for full tx, cave, etc.

So a diver with aow and rescue and 50 dives without specialties is as good as a msd

The best conclusion is that MSD ist just something to make money, but has nothing to do with becoming a better diver

Valid points. But another way of looking at it might be:

Some divers don't' have regular buddies, and are are shy, and maybe introvert. They take teh specialities, not to card collect, but to give themselves an "excuse/reason" to go diving.

While taking these specialities, they perhaps get to meet other diver, and may find buddies. Also (Hopefully) during the course of the specialities, diving with an instructor they should be mentored and their diving skills improve.

The 50 dive number is always controversial. But what number is a good number?

While for some of us, 50 dives is less than 6 months diving, to others who may not have access to suitable local diving, it can seem a huge target, perhaps taking 2 or 3 1 week vacations. I know people who felt 100 dives was a huge milestone - and it was, because for various reasons it took 10 years to achieve.

There is something for everyone in diving, it's become fairly inclusive (ignoring cost) and accessible. If someone wants to dedicate themselves, to more challenging diving and exacting standards, there are suitable pathways, (GUE, IANTD, BSAC, CMAS etc) but some people just want to go and occasionally see pretty fishes, and that's fine too.

It's a bit like me and gold. I've play for 20 years on and off, and had lessons from Pro's. But I'll never be more than someone who hacks around a course. Why? Because I'm not interested. For me golf is the occasional morning out with friends having a laugh and hitting the bar at lunchtime.

Yes, the Agencies want to make money, they're a business but spending money with agencies is discretionary. After OW no one needs to take another course.

And finally it doesn't' matter what card you hold, you will be judged on your actual diving abilities rather than your certification level.

Back
Top Bottom