cutting device transport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have carried on my backplate on several trips without incident.
Worked great for our family trek too this trip. Funny how a BP (one with STA) is not an issue but a little hex key can be. Not complaining about that so... But hey, a heavy camera lens probably would make a much more effective weapon than a small hex key also.... and we don't talk about what one could do with first stages on long hoses as we really like to keep taking those on board...
But in this case I only did it to be sure it's there with our flight because we had to get 1 island away yet from the airport and get on a boat the day after.
4 people, 2PB&Ws, 1 BCD, 1 transpac, 4 reg-sets, 4 pairs of fins and booties, 4 suits, 4 DCs, 1 day of cloth, some stuff, all camera gear (OMG that was easier with a compact), 2 laptops (stupid us), other e-gizmos, tons of cables and batteries and chargers... all in carryon and personal bags. on the way there and sooo happy to stick BP&Ws, BCD, Transpac and Suits, fins and booties (the lower value per volume stuff (at least as we bought it) into extra duffels for the return flights as hauling it for 4 flights would have sucked and as we were actually on a 2 checked bags per person allowance. So happy not to haul that stuff on a rather lengthy return treck (not that getting there was short). But putting it in carry on still is the only way I know how to assure it is there when we are...

In my experience almost nothing sharp can be in the carry on. This includes scissors & knives but I've got weird looks for small wrenches as well. There is enough hassle these days to get thru security that I make sure my carryon does not have anything that could become problematic.

Compressor, I often get checked a little closer than most. :wink:
I never have anything that's not allowed in my carry-on or checked bags, but most of the time I am asked to open my carry-on and my dive bag. They go through them and then wave me on. I have been "randomly selected" WAY too many times for searches. I always have my shears in my checked dive bag. I've been questioned about why I had a small flashlight in my checked bag when I was going to stay in a jungle lodge with no electricity other than a ceiling fan for part of a trip to Belize.

@Schwob, that's disappointing. I once went without my dive camera because we picked up the bags but not the camera bag that seemed to blend in beside our packed moving boxes that were ready to move shortly after we returned. I realized after we got to the airport and we couldn't go back. :(

From that time 15 years ago, I try to make sure that I reserve an area in advance for everything I need for a trip so there's no mix-up. I get the dive bag packed, my carry-on is ready, my clothes lay on top of the suitcase neatly until it's time to put them in the night before (rolled so they wrinkle less) and everything I need for the trip is right there so I can confirm it's there before finally packing it in. I think you only have to forget something important once and then you figure out what might work for you better.

Yeah if only the TSA followed their rules and if only there were world wide accepted rules.
Well we know world-wide rules won't happen (and even if they did they won't be followed consistently.)

But could you imagine, if there were actually world-wide rules they could wind up being lowest common denominator, meaning practically nothing interesting would be allowed anymore.

Well we know world-wide rules won't happen (and even if they did they won't be followed consistently.)

But could you imagine, if there were actually world-wide rules they could wind up being lowest common denominator, meaning practically nothing interesting would be allowed anymore.

Well, yeah, I can imagine, ... unfortunately.
Conflicting rules for differing legs of the same booking is an impossible problem to address for the customer so (if you can even find out ahead of time) ... but it’s how it seems to be. That doesn’t mean I like it or agree with it so.

As best as I can tell, the Li-ion battery thing is just such that you do have to pack each cell individually in plastic baggies so nothing can shorten out and the TSA is happy, but then you are taking your chances that they all get taken away / confiscated / stolen / protectively removed / whatever a flight leg or two or three down the road... or on the return trip... Hasn’t happened to me yet, knock on wood, albeit, by what I read, that’s what I should expect...
And that bugs me as I see no obvious alternative solution.

Coming back from Montana visiting my brother TSA ran my bag through a couple times and then called me over. The large black object is a piece of fossilized wood I said. They said ok, looked at it, and passed it through. This was larger than a softball, blockish, and had some sharp edges like a piece of a stump. Would be an awesome weapon in a fight. Routinely they will ask about all the batteries in my carry on, but no trouble once they see the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom