Lead on Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrJoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am using the Dive Rite XT, 45 wing, LP 95, with a steel back plate and STA.
Diving California, 7mm wetsuit, and using 21 lbs.
Can't drop any lower or 20ft saty stop gets difficult

Im thinking of pouring some lead into my STA that cradles single cylinder. I might get 5 or 6 pounds on there. I hate using the tank mounted weights. My goal is to have about 6 - 8 pounds ditchable weight. I have been diving for 39 years and never come close to needing to ditch, but you never know.
Any other ideas?

Plate = 5, STA = 1

There are actually weights designed to go into the STA, particularly Halcyon ones. So, pouring lead directly should be no problem, assuming you take precautions of course since lead fumes are toxic.

I have some weight plates for my DSS bp/w that are useful in that kind of situation but I've sort of moved away from using them. Typically I use a twinset now when diving 7mm and it reduces the weight on my belt to a manageable amount. I have to use ankle weights to maintain trim.

If you are not using a rubber weight belt you should try one. They make it much more practical to carry larger amounts of weight.

I have one of these attached to the inside of my plate so that it fits between my back and the plate. The pouch isn't at all noticeable and it's an easy way to add 4lbs.

“V” Weight Pouch

I have one of these attached to the inside of my plate so that it fits between my back and the plate. The pouch isn't at all noticeable and it's an easy way to add 4lbs.

“V” Weight Pouch
I use this v weight too. I had access to a few pounds of lead shot for free but I would recommend a hard weight if you don't. The bag system works but is a bit tricky to fill and wouldn't work with a single tank.

I use this v weight too. I had access to a few pounds of lead shot for free but I would recommend a hard weight if you don't. The bag system works but is a bit tricky to fill and wouldn't work with a single tank.
It will work because the OP is using STA.

Thanks everyone for input.

I plan to pour lead onto sta. Yes, full protection and we’ll ventilated.Trying to add 8 lbs with backplate and sta= 14 lbs.
Then I will use 3+3 of side dump wts on my harness. I did see a YouTube video of pouring onto the backplate. Must have added 10 pounds. I do want some dumpable weight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom