If you could only dive from one place in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're thinking about diving Glovers I'd take a look at Off the Wall Dive resort. Glovers Atoll resort is ok, if your into a Gilligan's Island type experience. Stay at off the wall with Jim and Kendra and take their kayaks over to Glovers Atoll resort and you'll see why I suggested it. Nothing against Glovers Atoll resort if that's the kind of experience you are interested in on vacation.

If you're going to stay at one of the atoll resorts - some of them only exchange guests once a week which may impact your 4-5 day plans. Some do twice a week or you can blow the budget on the seaplane.

From Placencia you can also access the Mayan ruins, the animal sanctuaries etc. via local trips. Diving out to the barrier reef/atolls is long boat rides though. I believe you're too early for the Whaleharks also - check with Splash Dive in Placencia - they list dates.

One other less expensive option a little north of Placencia is Laru Beya (sp) it's on the beach but the diving is done thru one of the Placencia shops. I believe Splash picks up there and offers a package with them. My cheap friend found a place on the beach, smaller, older and no A/C. I can get the name if you want.

If you pick Ambergris or Caye Caulker, the cheaper way there is via the water taxi. It will also take you across the border to Chetumal MX (90 mins) to continue your trek north. Belize Water Taxi | Belize Charter Boats - San Pedro Water Taxi

We are on AC right now, just finished up day two of diving and are heading out tomorrow on the BA3. This is my first time diving in the Caribbean and I logged dive #40 today, having said that I've been pretty happy with all my dives here despite the seasoned vets telling us that the vis and surge hasn't been ideal.

Without knowing specifically what you're hopping in the water to see, I would recommend AC, seems like a little bit of everything.

I like San Pedro for the variety of bars and restaurants as well, we've gone somewhere different every day and have not been disappointed.

I've dove Glovers, Turneffe, and lighthouse. If I had to pick one strictly based on diving I'd go to Lighthouse. With that said, it limits your accommodation options and schedule. All three of those atolls have their unique qualities, and in my opinion are all pretty good.

IMO, Lighthouse is the best by far. We've been diving Turneffe/Lighthouse for a decade, every year. Huracan is a relatively (compared to TIR) affordable option. I have several reviews of it here.

We are on AC right now, just finished up day two of diving and are heading out tomorrow on the BA3. This is my first time diving in the Caribbean and I logged dive #40 today, having said that I've been pretty happy with all my dives here despite the seasoned vets telling us that the vis and surge hasn't been ideal.

This actually is a really valid point. When you're a new diver, and depending on where you've been diving, even a ho-hum place is fantastic. The OPs here aren't quite "new" but depending on where they've been diving before, AC might be great.

Last year, friends of ours went straight from a week at Lighthouse/Halfmoon and straight to Cozumel for a second week there. Now people rave about Coz on here. I've been there perhaps 10 times, but not for the past 15 years. My recollection is that it's pretty nice, notwithstanding the cattleboats and the currents which make photography difficult.

My point is that my friends though Coz sucked. But then they've been in SE Asia a few times as well as Lighthouse.

I guess the thing is, there's no such thing as a bad dive vacation, but some are definitely better than others

Since the current plan is to do 4-5 days diving, you could do a half week, either Saturday to Wednesday (3 dive days) or Wednesday to Saturday (2 dive days) at Turneffe Island Resort and maybe other atoll resorts. I'd recommend the former for the extra dive day plus the TIR does the Blue Hole trip on Tuesdays so even if you skip that dive you could dive around Lighthouse.
Glovers has some fantastic diving and there are some lower scale "resorts" out that way, but I'm not sure about the logistics.

If you can't make the atoll, then just figure out what sort of experience you're looking for. AC is bigger and has more of everything like hotels, restaurants and dive ops. Placencia is smaller with less but still plenty enough and has the advantage of easy access to the mainland since technically it is on the mainland. Hopkins is even smaller but Hamanasi there will take good care of you.

I know you didn't ask, but my favorite hotel by far in SI is the San Ignacio Hotel. Classic British colony type hotel and you can even sleep in the same room as the Queen when she visited many years ago. The area is crawling with "eco-resorts," too.

Thanks to everyone for their response. We've been back and forth a bit on the decision, but in the end decided to stay at Caye Caulker. While the Blue Hole hold no real attraction to me, we will probably do the triple dive as I believe the other dives are pretty spectacular.

As it's a 40th holiday, i'm considering the option of doing the hole via the Astrum helicopter scuba trip - that way we get to both view it from the air and then dive it. I can't seem to find any reviews of the scuba trip though, only people who've done the flyover.

(Blue Hole & Turneffe Islands with Dives)

Also to decide whether it's work going to Xcalak on the way north for a couple of days, and whether we really want to go to Cozumel or not as I read it's a little cattle-boat.
Decisions Decisions.

The Blue Hole day should be a great one even if you elect to skip the BH dive. Lighthouse Caye feels like you're standing on the edge of the world. The diving in the area makes it well worth the trip.

If you haven't been to Cozumel before, then I'd recommend it. Just be prepared for crowds. The drift dives are well worth doing once. Having been there before and experienced the carnival-type atmosphere, it's just not for me.

But imho the much better experience is to dive the cenotes across the channel on the mainland in the Playa del Carmen area. These can be a religious experience. Obviously, you'll need a guide but there are a bunch of them down there.

Have a great trip.

Also to decide whether it's work going to Xcalak on the way north for a couple of days, and whether we really want to go to Cozumel or not as I read it's a little cattle-boat.
Decisions Decisions.

Not sure what you mean by cattle-boat. Most ops use pangas that hold 6-10 divers. There's only a handful of ops - mostly resort house ops - that use the big Newton-type boats that hold 20 or more. There are a lot of boats on the water but only now and then will another group cross with yours. There will be crowds in town as there will be on Caulker. For me, it's about what's under the water and you'll see reefs in Coz that you won't find in the other places.

I love cenotes. My partner has done them once and would rather see fish than rock formations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom