"Changing towel/robe" for boat coat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know plenty of people who use them in the tropics, but since you want cheap, pretty much anything will work in that case.

@WetInPortland ... we just finished the Surge to Curacao and wore our Surf Furs on every boat dive. I reckon that would qualify as the tropics. We used the Surf Furs in Bonaire and the Caymans. Never leave the dock without them.

So allow me to amend a bit here ... fleece versus microfiber - thoughts/comments?

I think the key is windproof. The surf fur isn’t just a fleece, but a wind and waterproof membrane sandwiched between two layers of fleece. It’s also reversible, but if you were looking for inexpensive with the same functionality for a boat/dive coat, I would look at old swim parkas at the thrift store.

IMO, Microfibre dries, fleece warms. Two products, two jobs. Which do you think you need?

IMO, Microfibre dries, fleece warms. Two products, two jobs. Which do you think you need?
I'm looking to reduce the evaporation rate of water in the neoprene, which gets a bit chilly in the breeze. I think I'm going to try a nylon shell that should block the wind. Drying/warming isn't the issue, it's stopping the evaporative cooling.

I'm looking to reduce the evaporation rate of water in the neoprene, which gets a bit chilly in the breeze. I think I'm going to try a nylon shell that should block the wind. Drying/warming isn't the issue, it's stopping the evaporative cooling.
Makes sense.
I often take both a microfibre sports towel and a windbreaker. My husband (who usually removes his wetsuit between dives) will often commandeer the windbreaker when the breeze gets cool.

Makes sense.
I often take both a microfibre sports towel and a windbreaker. My husband (who usually removes his wetsuit between dives) will often commandeer the windbreaker when the breeze gets cool.
The above plus an optional neoprene surface hooded jacket as needed, that I see a lot of the SE Asia/Micronesia Dive Guides use.

For a long length changing towel/garment to get out of wet swimsuits underneath, we tropical Asian Divers typically use a Sarong/Pareo/Batik (or short "Lava-Lava" as the Polynesians call them).
Pareo Sarong

Shop around -you can get them much less expensive than above (especially in country like the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom