Who travels with a spare mask and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olddiver1950

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious, who goes on SCUBA trips with a spare mask? Why? is it the same as your primary mask or a different style and why?? Just askin'

I’m very hard to fit. Took me 16 masks to find the one that didn’t leak that much. So I have a spare of the exact same style as primary.

Just curious, who goes on SCUBA trips with a spare mask? Why? is it the same as your primary mask or a different style and why??
I always carry a back-up mask on scuba trips. Small, lightweight, easy to carry. I don't care to miss a dive, or have to buy an expensive 'replacement', because something happened to the ONE mask I took with me

I use only two brand/models of masks. They are inexpensive, they fit. I have several of each (clear and black). So, my back-up is normally functionally identical to my primary.

Since I carry a spare, I don't have any mask straps in my save-a-dive kit.

I haven't found my "dream" mask yet, maybe because I'm not ready to spend a lot on it. So I have two masks that fit reasonably well, don't leak or fog, but can at times give me a bit of fatigue in different spots on the face. One of them is framed and clear, another frame-less and black. I just came back from a week long trip to which I brought both of them in case I got tired doing 4 dives a day in the same mask or something happened to it, but I ended up doing all dives in the same mask.

The above, and if you used a prescription mask. Its a matter of how much inconvience you can deal with on the trip. I have never lost a mask so on local trips I don't bother, if I was paying big bucks to do a destination dive, I'd take a spare.

This is a good place to add that it is a good policy to maintain your gear well. Inspect it every time you handle it, and don't put off any repairs. Every broken mask strap I've seen should have been replaced prior to the incident because no one looked at it.

Bob

I am like the folks above. Always carry one including on dives.

I have always travelled with a spare mask, I don't like the idea of having to use a random rental mask.
Nowadays I use a full optical mask ground for both distance and near vision. These are too expensive to carry a second as a spare. My spare is a "reader" mask, the distance vision i can cope with underwater, however I do like to read my instruments LOL.

Need Rx readers in my mask. No way that I would travel anywhere without a second mask. Always take 2 and they’re identical.

I take a spare mask on trips because it's a prescription mask. I don't necessarily carry it on day boats, but definitely on trips (may stay in the room) and liveaboards. Currently they aren't the same mask (same prescription), but I'm comfortable diving either one.

Back
Top Bottom