Internet purchase of Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe, maybe not. I have not done a survey of all online sources for cylinder purchases to know if absolutely everyone does their own inspection before shipping, or if any just box and ship a tank from inventory. I would certainly not assume an added inspection unless I can confirm otherwise.
True. All tanks may not come with an obvious VIP sticker, or a new inspection and date.

On being O2 clean, I do not believe that label claims it is, only Nitrox ready, and the DGX site discusses the "Nitrox Ready" (<40%) products from their suppliers, of which this was one. Their suppliers may provide different guarantees to DGX than to consumers, I do not know. My diving is Nitrox but not O2 clean, so I'll set aside the differences between a) anything over 23.5% needs oxygen handling vs b) there is air, nitrox <40%, and O2 categories.

Partial pressure blending aside, there is no specific need for a new cylinder to be cleaned for pre-mixed EAN up to 40%, and there is no need for an additional VIP in the first year of manufacture or first year of latest hydro. Now, there is nothing wrong with wanting to look inside an empty tank, but to state it must get a formal visual inspection and subsequent charge is not kosher.

Again stating, "shops compressor, shops rules".

The new take rules definitely run from one end to the other on rules. If you bring a tank to me and it has current inspection stickers but it's empty. It WILL be opened and looked at. I won't do a full inspection but I do want to make sure it is really empty. I didn't inspect it so I don't charge you. It is rare that I ever found anything but it happens.

If shops are watching this thread, I’ll offer what mine does to make it much more attractive:
$5 fills with their VIP (you get their VIP with in-house purchase)
$8 fills with any other VIP.
As much as my family of four is diving, I racked up a decent “discount” last year. New tanks or new VIP, they are winning my business. I did a bulk purchase of used tanks with some buddies this past year. They got a better deal on the VIPs but I lost money on the fills. This year’s VIPs, MINE will be going to the shop.

The shop compressor was already running, this is a fairly cost effective way for them to keep me cracking their doorway. Now if I can stop buying miscellaneous crap every time I go in there, I might actually realize my “discount.”

What is the name of your shop? I wanna go there.

What is the name of your shop? I wanna go there.
Any of the Sea Sports Scuba locations. There is one in the Woodlands.

Back
Top Bottom