Driving from Texas to the Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I have heard, it is driving at night that may be dangerous. If you leave from Laredo or Brownsville( I think) you can get to Monterrey before dark. After that the danger subsides greatly I think.

On the other hand, why drive. Will you really need a car in Cozumel? Or thinking about touring the Yucatan. Flying down and renting a car might be much more economical and safe.

From what I have heard, it is driving at night that may be dangerous.

Yeah, we used to believe that theory as well, until it proved incorrect one morning around San Fernando.

Made the drive from Brownsville down to the Belize border, but that was in the 1970's, but with present conditions I would not attempt such a trip.
Nope, nope, nope. Everything that could go wrong would I think. I don't run nearly as fast as I used to.

I made the drive in 1960 in a brand new VW Kombi and a brand new wife
Down the east coast and up the middle and west coast
Very poor often almost no roads - no camp grounds- often camped at night in front of at the side of the local police station.

Best diving was at Veracruz-- dove there every day for a week- Spearfishing, UW photography Wreck diving
Cozumel was yet to be developed as a diving designation

I would not even consider attempting the same trip in todays environment of open season on Gringos and Pochos

SDM

Yeah, we used to believe that theory as well, until it proved incorrect one morning around San Fernando.
As I understand it, the rationale against driving at night is not so much criminals as animals. Various fauna likes to sleep on the asphalt at night, which emits the heat absorbed during the day. Headlights aren't going to illuminate the soon-to-be roadkill sufficiently in advance to allow one to stop before impact. Depending on the size of said fauna, this could make for a very bad day (or night).

That used to be the prime reason. Hated cow carcasses coming through the windshield. Nowadays the Mexican border officials warn people not to drive at night because the government forces do not patrol much at night. The Zetas and other assorted bad guys know it and take advantage of the opportunity.

Headlights aren't going to illuminate the soon-to-be roadkill sufficiently in advance to allow one to stop before impact. Depending on the size of said fauna, this could make for a very bad day (or night).
Gotta watch for deer, pigs, and porcupines in much of Texas. Wild pig type animals around Big Bend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom