3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I got to print my project today. No, not the one I posted earlier. It was created using "front" as the plane on which I worked and extruded. When I went to print, it was on its side, facing me. I tried to figure out how to flip it, but alas I could not suss that out. Since I had my tablet with me, I thought I would see how fast I could whip it up. It took me right at 20 minutes to accomplish what took me hours the day before. It was magical and it even looked better. I changed the extrusion from 25mm to 50mm thick. that might be overkill. It was a 4:48 print. I wasn't willing to wait that long, so I went back tonight to grab it. Wow. It looks good and it works. Here is the story in pictures...

full?d=1548732070.jpg

The print is just starting. The raft is down and you can just see the edges. I think it's at 4% here.

full?d=1548732070.jpg

Here we are at 43%.

full?d=1548732070.jpg

All done, but will the batteries fit?

full?d=1548732070.jpg

Back at home, I tried the batteries. Wow. It's awesome to see how they clip in. It feels solid.

full?d=1548732070.jpg

The view from the top. There's some cracking I don't understand. Maybe Guru Chris can clue me in.
@cerich should see this. :D

I can't forget to post pics of James' Barrel cap. Simple, brilliant and perfect!

full?d=1548732186.jpg

full?d=1548733101.jpg

In use.​

OK, I got to print my project today. No, not the one I posted earlier. It was created using "front" as the plane on which I worked and extruded. When I went to print, it was on its side, facing me. I tried to figure out how to flip it, but alas I could not suss that out. Since I had my tablet with me, I thought I would see how fast I could whip it up. It took me right at 20 minutes to accomplish what took me hours the day before. It was magical and it even looked better. I changed the extrusion from 25mm to 50mm thick. that might be overkill. It was a 4:48 print. I wasn't willing to wait that long, so I went back tonight to grab it. Wow. It looks good and it works. Here is the story in pictures...

Just a random thought, would 26650s also fit in that space? Maybe 4-5 of them?

Hi James. I've been using DGX valves and flanges for some time to repair BCD broken flanges. As they are, they need to be modified. I've been thinking to 3D print a customized flange but I have not the required knowledge to create the 3D model, and I don't have easy access to a 3D printer.
Using some repair bcd flanges like ScubaFix is too expensive. The other option is to machine a piece of plastic with a machining lathe, which is also expensive unless I order hundreds of them to be made with PLC.

Let me know what the change needed is, and I'll look into posting a version 2 if you want.

Non-scuba question. I teach stop the bleed courses and wound packing trainers cost 150-300 each, how hard would it be to 3d print a 4x 4 x 4 block (preferably with a somewhat soft material ) with a simulated gunshot wound and a cavity below it?

TC:
Non-scuba question. I teach stop the bleed courses and wound packing trainers cost 150-300 each, how hard would it be to 3d print a 4x 4 x 4 block (preferably with a somewhat soft material ) with a simulated gunshot wound and a cavity below it?
I'm not an expert.... but in my limited experience the only flexible filaments ive used are shore 90. Pretty firm materials. The cost though is really in weight of filament, and filaments run 15 to 30 dollars a kg. Long story short, cheap in materials but time consuming to iterate to a good design.

Reactions: tc
TC:

Have you considered just cutting a slit in something like Clear Ballistics gel? IIRC it is pretty cheap, and it is reusable.

Considering many options, including yoga bricks and a sharp knife. :)

Just exploring possibilities. ROUGHLY what would it cost in materials to print a solid 4x4x4 cube?

So
TC:
Considering many options, including yoga bricks and a sharp knife. :)

Just exploring possibilities. ROUGHLY what would it cost in materials to print a solid 4x4x4 cube?
Solid would use a whole spool (about 20 dollars) but realistically I'd only use about 15 percent infil for a job like that... that puts it about 4 bucks an iteration

Reactions: tc

Back
Top Bottom