Why a mask with black skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched from clear to black in part because I was regularly getting distracted by things I saw (or thought I saw) in my peripheral vision. The black skirt helped.

For me black might be better because my eyes are super light sensitive so in fairly shallow waters on a bright sunny day, I find I'm getting too much light from above, which makes me squint. I haven't yet picked up a black skirt mask but I'm maybe in the market for one.

I was jut thinking, though....what if a manufacturer decided to make a skirt with semi-transparent silicone. Like say a smoke-colored skirt. Would possibly have a similar effect to say window tint?

Have you ever tried to look at a camera's viewfinder screen in shallow water, while wearing a mask with a clear skirt?

I have, and that's why my mask is black.

The above are all legitimate reasons. If I could add a slightly less well considered view:

For the same reason some people wear sunglasses inside! :cool:

BTW, I also wear a black mask. It doesn't make me look cool but hey, you can't polish a turd!

Interesting question. Personally, I think more light is a good thing, as long as it's in the field of view. The problem with a clear skirt is that it may allow light in from outside the field of view (after all, you don't look through the skirt). It seems that light entering from outside the field of view may reduce contrast in the field of view (does that make sense?). After using both I think my next mask will have a dark skirt.

I've tried both and prefer the clear skirt, for all the reasons folks have mentioned before - it's brighter and less claustrophobic feeling. I don't do photography so being able to see the screen is less of an issue; and I don't notice the loss of contrast otherwise.

I will note that I also hate wearing sunglasses and ballcaps outside because of the way they darken and restrict peripheral vision, so I think this is just a stable preference for me. I switched to contacts for the same reason - my eyesight is heavily corrected and my contacts aren't as sharp as the lenses in my glasses...but I hate the tunnel vision effect I get with the glasses, and so that's a tradeoff I'm happy and willing to make.

Black skirts for cave diving for obvious reasons. You want to cut any light like your buddy’s cave light from blinding you from the side.

I started my snorkeling and diving with a black mask in the ‘70s, then switched to a clear mask in the ‘80s and loved it. This was all done in Florida or the Caribbean. When I started diving again here in Rhode Island (dark water) I found that the clear skirt gave me a halo effect that caused distortion, so I’m back to a black skirt.

Back
Top Bottom