Stay in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if this has been asked before many times. How burdensome would it be to stay in or near Playa for a week if I want to do 3 or 4 dive days in Coz this summer (early July)? Or should we just book a place in Cozumel? My non-diving wife really likes the all-inclusive options on the mainland.

Ferry website says it's 45 mins each way. Can you catch it right before it leaves? Is it usually on time? Any issues for the seasick-prone? What time could I realistically be back in Playa with my non-diving wife each dive day? (I'm willing to wake up as early as needed).

Background on where I want to dive: I have been diving several times in the Riviera Maya, dove reefs and cenotes, and really want to get some Cozumel dives in. I dove Coz once on a cruise ship stop and loved it.

Stay in Coz. There are AI options there. Or stay in Coz for 3-4 days and the rest in PDC. You don't have to stay in one place the whole trip.

By the time you figure in hotel to ferry, and ferry to dive op, you'll be wasting 90 minutes and $20usd each way. After a typical 2-tank 8:30am trip, you'd probably be back in PDC around 2-3pm.

The ferries generally leave on time or within 5-10 minutes but don't try to time things to the minute in Mexico.

I'll echo the reply above. I do have a few friends who live in Playa and work in cozumel traveling daily back and forth... The commute is easy, but probably more transit time than I would want on vacation.

Have you looked into the all inclusives here in Cozumel? I hear they are nice too.

Cameron

I'll echo the reply above. I do have a few friends who live in Playa and work in cozumel traveling daily back and forth... The commute is easy, but probably more transit time than I would want on vacation.

Have you looked into the all inclusives here in Cozumel? I hear they are nice too.

Cameron

Thanks Cameron, yes we are now looking into AIs on Coz. We are very familiar with the mainland options and like them. We are snobby about food and service so we like Karisma resorts, which do pretty well in that regard. If there is something comparable we'll consider it. We like the idea of being in one place all week and not moving.

I'm starting to think maybe either we find an awesome Cozumel AI or stay in PDC area, do one morning dive in Coz, get back at 3 PM. Do one afternoon dive in Coz and bring my wife. She can hang out, do SI with me. Other days dive in cenote or local reef near PDC.

Cozumel Palace is the best on the island for AI. Go to Ebay and look for CP. Many members list their units. at a much better price than CP website. All ocean view, bar in room, jacuzzi in room, great food, close to town.

Playa is a little caos, I didn't liked it.. Cozumel is the nice combination because you can have both relax and other things.

Cozumel Palace has no beach, as it is cost of San Miguel, the advantage is that you're near the town center.
The hotels on the south, like the Iberostar, are nicer IMO if you have a non diver with you that want to enjoy the beach, aquatic games and such.

I really liked Playa, we stayed there a few days when we did land stuff, but there is no way I would try to dive Cozumel from there.

Sorry if this has been asked before many times. How burdensome would it be to stay in or near Playa for a week if I want to do 3 or 4 dive days in Coz this summer (early July)? Or should we just book a place in Cozumel? My non-diving wife really likes the all-inclusive options on the mainland.

Ferry website says it's 45 mins each way. Can you catch it right before it leaves? Is it usually on time? Any issues for the seasick-prone? What time could I realistically be back in Playa with my non-diving wife each dive day? (I'm willing to wake up as early as needed).

Background on where I want to dive: I have been diving several times in the Riviera Maya, dove reefs and cenotes, and really want to get some Cozumel dives in. I dove Coz once on a cruise ship stop and loved it.

Stay on Coz. ... I don't recommend AI's because there are WAY too many good places to eat on the island to subject yourself to a buffet every day for every meal. But if you MUST, there are some nice AI options.

Yes the ferry is about a 45 minute ride each way and you can usually buy a ticket just before departure and get on one. There can be delays due to weather, but in the summer that's usually not much of an issue. I'm pretty sure they start running at 7am, so you would be pushing it to make an 8am dive boat.

Some dive ops, like Blue Angel, have a boat that leaves later in the morning (11 in BA's case) that cater to cruise shippers and folks coming over from the Yucatan. The only problem with that is, they are time limited, due to having to get people back to the cruise ships, so they usually have a 45min. time limit to the dives & only go to the dive sites close to the cruise ship piers, and usually dive pretty much the same sites daily.

I think they usually run somewhat on time. I heard of A LOT of people get sea sick on the ferry, even folks I know that don't normally. I personally suffer from sea sickness on occasion, and have never got sick on the ferry, but have only done it a few times and not in many years.

I'd recommend splitting your stay. The quality of AIs on Cozumel won't match the ones you are used to if you like the Karisma resorts.

When in Cozumel, stay in town- enjoy the delicious food.

Back
Top Bottom