Can someone help me identify?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Athensjw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got this used. I can't find a first and second stage going by this logo and brand name "Explorer" via Google.
20190130_151223.jpg
20190130_151238.jpg

Keep in mind that IDI is defunct (became XSscuba).
You may have difficulty getting a shop to service if you plan on using it.

That second stag looks just like a Scubamaster.

I don't know anything about the Scubamaster, but I think it was a successor of Healthways sometime in the 70's.

In the picture below you can see that the plastic parts look like they came out of the same mold, including the plastic ring that hold the cover. The only difference is the purge button.

32247509428_0c2b1f0a67_o.jpg

Idi was selling them after Healthways folded.I went to the repair clinic at Dema years ago.

Try contacting a local XS Scuba dealer, since they bought IDI.
Dealer Locator — XS Scuba

They are more of a gadget company than a hard goods company and most of their dealers probably don’t sell their regulators, but they can still contact them for guidance on service manuals and parts kits. If you were in my store with that reg I would not hesitate to make a simple phone call, or email them a photo.

No guarantee that XS still offers any support for that item, but that would be the closest you can get to current OEM support.

Regulator service is not rocket science!
A good service tech will slowly disassemble an unknown and no longer manufactured reg and start thinking. By the time everything is clean the tech already knows what parts from other companies are going to work as good replacements.

As an example, I had around 20 Apeks TX50/TX100/ATX100 2nd stages (still have around a dozen of them even though I now dive rebreathers) and have found that the valve seats need to be replaced every 2 years since the rubber is kind of soft and quickly takes a set. The seats aren't sold individually, which means that I'd be buying around 20 2nd stage kits every 2 years and only using the valve seats since all the O-Ring last for many years. A good tech looked at the valve seats, said those look like the Scubapro seats would fit and we tryed it out. The Scubapro seats are also considerably harder and it takes years before they take a set, also a good dealer has them in stock for about $2 each. It's now been years since I've bought an Apeks 2nd stage kit and my regulators hold their adjustment much longer.

Just because you bought your car from Toyota doesn't mean that MAPA parts can't be used.

Michael

Regulator service is not rocket science!
A good service tech will slowly disassemble an unknown and no longer manufactured reg and start thinking. By the time everything is clean the tech already knows what parts from other companies are going to work as good replacements.

As an example, I had around 20 Apeks TX50/TX100/ATX100 2nd stages (still have around a dozen of them even though I now dive rebreathers) and have found that the valve seats need to be replaced every 2 years since the rubber is kind of soft and quickly takes a set. The seats aren't sold individually, which means that I'd be buying around 20 2nd stage kits every 2 years and only using the valve seats since all the O-Ring last for many years. A good tech looked at the valve seats, said those look like the Scubapro seats would fit and we tryed it out. The Scubapro seats are also considerably harder and it takes years before they take a set, also a good dealer has them in stock for about $2 each. It's now been years since I've bought an Apeks 2nd stage kit and my regulators hold their adjustment much longer.

Just because you bought your car from Toyota doesn't mean that MAPA parts can't be used.

Michael
Service kits for 1st and 2nd stages Archives - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving
O-Ring Tools and scuba Parts

Back
Top Bottom