Florida Cave Update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ear verdict: otitis externa confirmed; otitis media suspected based on exceptional tonsil inflammation. 100°F fever, although I feel better today than I did yesterday. Antibiotics will be a 7-10 day deal, depending on whether the infection responds appropriately.

Once I'm back at work next week, I can check my docket and decide when to come back. I'm looking at doing multiple 3-4 day stints per level rather than another big span of time.

The "kill it all" ear beer is 100% Everclear.

Actually, there is at least one SB thread I can recall in which a medical doc pointed out that it's the low pH of the vinegar-alcohol mixture that does the real work in keeping the bugs at bay as far as ear infections. As I recall, the particular organism that is the most common cause of ear infections happens to be especially sensitive to low pH, and therefore vinegar is more effective against it than alcohol. The alcohol part of the mixture is intended to act as a dessicant, to help dry out the ear canal.

Actually, there is at least one SB thread I can recall in which a medical doc pointed out that it's the low pH of the vinegar-alcohol mixture that does the real work in keeping the bugs at bay as far as ear infections. As I recall, the particular organism that is the most common cause of ear infections happens to be especially sensitive to low pH, and therefore vinegar is more effective against it than alcohol. The alcohol part of the mixture is intended to act as a dessicant, to help dry out the ear canal.
Exactly.
And pure vinegar is too strong, so diluting it with the isopropyl alcohol both helps the dilution and helps the drying. Glycerin in commercial ear drops (or olive oil in homemade drops) just adds viscosity and helps keep it from draining out of the ear so quickly.

Appriciate the detail! Sorry I was just being a **** pump. lol

For anyone planning to dive in High Springs in the near future, the ear advisory has been upgraded to an ear warning.

I have an ear infection, Reggie has an ear infection now, other people are reporting ear infections, and I'm aware of one eardrum rupture that might be infection-related. The river has been running increasingly high this week with all of the rain, so dog knows what additional pathogens might have been washed in.

Treat early and often.

Hi Guys,
Akron pharmacy s are now making Acetic otic solution again ndc50383-899-17 prescription.
This replace Dombero which the Navy used in Sea Lab to prevent ear infections.I have been using this for 7 years and No ear infections.

MY problem was my ears didn't produce enough ear wax. The cells inside the ear are open for infection,thus use this solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom