ScubaPro HUD (new computer on the market)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is hard for me to imagine a useful GPS implementation that isn't superimposed on a map on a higher resolution display. Should be interesting.
Actually bearing and distance to a waypoint can be enough if you know where you are going. Early GPS avionics were all alpha-numeric displays. Don't get me wrong, moving map displays are AWESOME.

Bigger issue is that it is only useful on the surface.

For military stealth applications, I Imagine them swimming a heading with the compass and popping up to check position occasionally.

It is hard for me to imagine a useful GPS implementation that isn't superimposed on a map on a higher resolution display. Should be interesting.

I would expect it to offer the same usefulness that the "Location Service" offers in Subsurface-mobile (presuming I remember to take my smarthphone on the boat with me and to actually turn on the Subsurface-mobile Location Service).

i.e. it allows me to download my logged dives from my dive computer and then show me on a map where my dive started and/or ended.

No real use during a dive at all.

Actually bearing and distance to a waypoint can be enough if you know where you are going.

True, but on the surface only. Not much better than a compass unless you are in heavy fog and can't visually estimate the distance to the boat or beach. Normally the GPS on the boat drops you on the target and the vast majority of divers only care about finding their way back to the anchor.

I received an advertisement from scuba.com today for the Scubapro HUD, $1339 alone, $1699 with a transmitter. It piqued my interest, so I went to the Scubapro website and found the manual to be available https://www.scubapro.com/sites/scub...5.1037744314.1547071753-1816505427.1546445296

The HUD runs the "traditional" Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF algorithm or the "modern" Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG algorithm. The ZH-L16 ADT algorithm is the default. During setup, you choose a microbubble (MB) level between 0-5, turn profile dependent intermediate stops (PDIS) on or off, set the remaining bottom time (RBT) tank reserve, and then go on to set the safety stop, ppO2 max, alarm values and the sound on or off. For ZH-L16C and GF, you set the GF low and the GF high before going on to the safety stop... For reasons known to Scubapro, they decided not to include the RBT/tank reserve in this pathway. It explicitly states this in the text.
upload_2019-1-30_13-56-34.png

Not that I have any personal interest in a HUD, but I do wonder why they left RBT out of the ZH-L16C with GF pathway. If someone on SB decides to try out the HUD, it would be a great opportunity to compare the performance of the native ZH-L16 ADT (MB0, PDIS off) algorithm to ZH-L16C with GF, a question many of us have been wondering about for some time. Perhaps the next time I'm in my friendly Scubapro Platinum Dealer in Jupiter I will spend some time playing around with the HUD planner.

If Scubapro decides to offer ZH-L16C with GF in other computers, I would hope they decide to include the RBT function.

I played around with this computer on land today and was not impressed in the slightest. The low resolution was painfully obvious. The method of attachment to the mask, with two zip ties, doesn’t seem to be great considering it’s price. It was hard for me to read the computer as it was not properly adjusted for my line of sight, which also is not a terribly simple process. The compass movement also was not smooth like a shearwater.

I was looking at Shearwater NERD2 info and I see that they basically have it setup with holes for mounting so that anyone that wants to can make a bracket of their own to mount it to.

It also has an option in the settings to flip the screen. So, if you made a bracket to attach it to the top of your mask (like this SP HUD does), you could mount a NERD there, if you wanted to.

There are a few masks on the market that have a GoPro mount built in. I wonder how hard it would really be to make a mounting adapter for the NERD that would let it attach to a GoPro mount.

$1700 for the SP HUD w/transmitter. $1900 for a NERD2 w/transmitter. I know which one I would rather have... Would just need a mask mount for the NERD....

Should have said "lack of imagination" or "failure of engineering for optimal marketplace penetration" or "boneheaded" ...
Why did they use a custom design that is very similar, but incompatible, to a common, effectively standard/open solution. Maybe there was some compelling mechanical or geometry reason that is not immediately apparent, at least to me. The mask-frame mount does strike me as a ghetto-elegant design, and solves the 2-window issue, but the zip-ties do seem a bit half-assed for a $1k+++ product. Regardless of cost factor, mask fit can be difficult for some of us ...

OTOH, I wonder if that means there is a ready solution for the KM M-48 Mod 1s? I thought that the combat swimmers were using them.

KM M-48s are on my "try" list. I wouldn't think the HUD would be at all noticeable on one of them.
I dive with a KM M-48 Mod 1, and i will never go back to a ''normal" mask... I hope that the SP HUD fit the M-48... Anybody knows???

Should have said "lack of imagination" or "failure of engineering for optimal marketplace penetration" or "boneheaded" ...
Why did they use a custom design that is very similar, but incompatible, to a common, effectively standard/open solution. Maybe there was some compelling mechanical or geometry reason that is not immediately apparent, at least to me. The mask-frame mount does strike me as a ghetto-elegant design, and solves the 2-window issue, but the zip-ties do seem a bit half-assed for a $1k+++ product. Regardless of cost factor, mask fit can be difficult for some of us ...
Evidently this mask-attachment concept was off the shelf for ScubaPro ...

Their Go-Pro mount for 2-window framed masks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHHRFV2
710fZXmdw1L._SL1370_.jpg

Not to derail, but has anybody bought and dove with the Nerd 2? I've held off on my Teric backup purchase because I think the Nerd 2 would be better for lobstering and spearfishing because my wrists wouldn't be encumbered.

Not to derail, but has anybody bought and dove with the Nerd 2? I've held off on my Teric backup purchase because I think the Nerd 2 would be better for lobstering and spearfishing because my wrists wouldn't be encumbered.

I don't think I've ever seen a single open circuit diver with a NERD (1 or 2).

I will probably get a NERD2 eventually, for my CCR. But, having a NERD mounted on my regulator hose when I'm diving open circuit just doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm kind of surprised Shearwater (or someone) hasn't come out with some kind of "universal" mount to let you mount a NERD2 on a mask. I could maybe get onboard with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom