I'm a rec instructor. I want to be a tec instructor. No tec experience. I'm gonna need your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a guy intends to follow a recognized training agency's (minimum) guidelines, and that pursuit is dangerous, stupid or irresponsible, then the criticism should be focused on the agency that provides (allows) it rather than the prospective student.

Sometimes you have to hit the donkey over his head with a 2x4 to get his attention.
When the initial inquiry shows lack of the initiative to do a little research, shows a desire to go fast and cheap, and it's all because he is bored, then you start looking for your 2x4.
Why not consider all the ways he might have asked his initial question so as to get a good response? Why put it all on the responders?

Why? someone will always rushing in to defend the 50 dive DM as somehow exceptional. But these DMs are just part of a shop environment that continually pushes the next course instead of having any actual supervising or teaching skill or experience to impact to students.

This won't be any different. And if you agency hop and fudge your logs with the most generous definitions of a dive, then you could probably be a hypoxic trimix instructor with 100 dives (total) below 130ft. I'm not going to take the time to work out the minimum minimums from the laxest agency. Of course he could end up dead like Guy Garman - which has already been pointed out. Since there are no actual dives the OP aspires to, he can just go up and down some steep beech and do the minimum bounces and pay ridiculous sums of money to the worst IT, who will greedily collect more money without regard for his aptitude whatsoever. Which also ignores the safety of future students. So I guess in the perfect world the OP would find an existing zero-to-hero tech instructor to give him cards for the bare minimum that he or she knows. It's fastest and quickest and cheapest if you dont even bother to learn anything and just get the card(s).

If a guy intends to follow a recognized training agency's (minimum) guidelines, and that pursuit is dangerous, stupid or irresponsible, then the criticism should be focused on the agency that provides (allows) it rather than the prospective student.
Por que no los dos?

When the initial inquiry shows lack of the initiative to do a little research, shows a desire to go fast and cheap,

Heaven forbid someone would elect to conduct research regarding scuba diving by simply coming to ScubaBoard and asking their question? She's a witch! Burn 'er! Burn 'er! She turned me into a newt!

Fast and cheap COULD have a negative connotation. Or it could simply mean "the most efficient use of time and money to achieve the desired outcome." And again I ask, does anyone here think the OP is asking how to become a worthless, crappy tech instructor? Shall we always just assume that that's what people mean when they ask for the shortest and least expensive way to get to a certain level of diving (or instructorship)? I mean, I know that's how it almost always has gone here, but must we continue that?

Sure. Can you please print me an NACD Advanced Wreck & Cave Specialty Frontmount Argox Extended Decompression DPV Diver Instructor Card? I've earned this and worked very hard and tirelessly on the Internet to successfully gain this coveted knowledge and life experience.

I'm happy to pay in pizza (Papa Gino's or Little Caesar's) or a six-pack of beer (Budweiser or your choice of a fine craft beer like Milwaukee's Best or Busch Light none of that Pabst Blue Ribbon sh*t).

Coming right up Sir. Would sir like to super size that to the NACD AWCSFAED Instructor Trainer card?

Heaven forbid someone would elect to conduct research regarding scuba diving by simply coming to ScubaBoard and asking their question? She's a witch! Burn 'er! Burn 'er! She turned me into a newt!

Fast and cheap COULD have a negative connotation. Or it could simply mean "the most efficient use of time and money to achieve the desired outcome." And again I ask, does anyone here think the OP is asking how to become a worthless, crappy tech instructor? Shall we always just assume that that's what people mean when they ask for the shortest and least expensive way to get to a certain level of diving (or instructorship)? I mean, I know that's how it almost always has gone here, but must we continue that?
e77d6001317ac18e2a320250a70168c0.jpg

So an instructor of ten years has no clue as to the process of becoming a tech instructor?

Really?

Seriously?

If the OP’s awareness and acumen are so low that they have no idea as to what it takes (and PADI has had countless articles about their tech program as well as what is documented on their website, I am of the opinion that they should stop teaching all together. I wouldn’t send people I dislike to take even rec courses from this person.

I wish this question had been asked 20 years ago and on a different forum so it could get the critical analysis it requires.

If a troll , well done sir!! You have riled the masses.

If the OP is serious, this quote should help. " You cannot transmit what you do not have "

The amount of experience required to safely convey a skillset sufficient to keep a student alive in circumstances he may expect to encounter is entirely subjective. For some, 1000 dives will be sufficient, for others not even near enough.To be considerate of the safety students I may be teaching I would be sure I was as capable as possible, not as minimally competent as allowed.

If you are serious,it would be worthwhile to reach out to some of the instructors commenting here so we don't have to read about you or more importantly your students in the accidents and incidents forum.

So an instructor of ten years has no clue as to the process of becoming a tech instructor?

Really?

Seriously?

If the OP’s awareness and acumen are so low that they have no idea as to what it takes (and PADI has had countless articles about their tech program as well as what is documented on their website, I am of the opinion that they should stop teaching all together. I wouldn’t send people I dislike to take even rec courses from this person.

I've been driving cars for ... a looong time. Do I know the process to become a race car driver? The classes I would need to take? The hierarchy of licenses? No. Do I know the further process to be an instructor to teach people to be race car drivers? Definitely not.

Apparently, my awareness and acumen for driving are very low.

Not a perfect analogy, but I hope my point conveys. At some point, you develop an interest in something. Prior to that, you weren't interested. Why would you be expected to know the details of something you were never interested in? When you develop your first interest, what is wrong with coming to an online forum for a community of people, some of whom do what you are interested in doing, and asking about it as your first step in indulging your interest?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom