Ultralight vs off brand clamps and arms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone here ever used both Ultralight and some of the off brand clamps and arms? I'm reconfiguring my camera and will need some more arms and clamps. Is there any reason to spend over twice the cost on the brand name parts?

Twice the quality and twice the life expectancy.
Mine are over 6 years old and look like the day I bought them, I expect them to last 20 years at least. They have performed flawlessly and were a massive improvement over the original ikelite style. Ulcs make excellent clamps,trays and arms. Buyer beware! buy it nice or buy it twice.

I have some ulcs, nauticam, and beneath the surface and I do not have any issues but all are top shelf clamps.

I have a mix of arms & clamps from ULCS and a company called iDAS. I find that both work flawlessly.

Clamps I get on Ali Express from china for around 5 euro each. They are good enough. And much cheaper (normally 25-30 euro here).
I alsof have the Puluz Arms from china. Only used them shallow now, but will take them to 100m.
They look nice and good.

Thanks for the replies. I can't see what would make a $30 clamp any better than a $5 clamp, they all have the same profile and made out of the same material.

The $5 clamps are not finished any where near as nicely as the ULCS clamps for example. I bought some cheap clamps from China and they had sharp enough edges that they cut through the o-rings and scratched the finish off of the balls that they were attached to. Had to take a grinder wheel to them to break the rough edges. Also the springs tend to be thinner wire and often take a set.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom