Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jiminy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Please tell me about your snorkel .setup. I currently have a flex snorkel thinking of changing.
I am mainly an ocean diver. Please share your setup.

Interested in the results, and sadly a snorkel poll is more entertaining than the super bowl.

14EB2974-A488-47AE-8D35-A2A01E305F2F.jpeg
I’m glad you asked, I want to see what others think!

My first snorkle was a great big honking dry snorkle of unknown manufacter with a ball swivel that held the mouthpiece in position wherever you put it, a large bore rigid tube, and a purge valve. It was totally dry and very mouth comfortable, so well sealed it sucked my tongue in when I went freediving, not knowing I should spit it out. It was uncomfortable on the mask strap and terribly top heavy, but if I am ever stranded in high seas I will probably regret that I stopped carrying it.

Now I also have an assortment of unsatisfactory snorkles, all of which I dislike. The scubapro accordion flexitube type requires too much jaw-aching teeth gripping to hold. All have crappy mouthpieces. I did have a simple j snorkle from xs scuba that was ok for freediving in calm water, but a jellyfish stung my hand in my local low viz and I dropped it. I would get that again.

I rarely carry one scubadiving, but I want to find a way besides mask strap to bring a good one along in case. Maybe a DIY thigh holster? I tried a roll up pocket snorkle but the mouthpiece pops off in the pool, and it is terrible to breathe from because of the narrow, crushed bore. Basically a POS. Assuming I might need it OOA in high seas why have that.

I’ve also discovered that the simple snorkles freedivers love are NOT good in big waves where water “poops” down the tube, causing choking and dangerous water aspiration.

I want to try no BC diving and will need a good snorkle for that so I’m eager to hear what others recommend.

Also what is the most comfortable quick release retainer system?

My snorkel's name if Fred. Fred started life as a super articulated top triangular water dumping, bottom purge, space age black weapon.

Then Fred became a simple contour tube, from Mako. Simplicity reigned. Purging is via head tilt and gentle exhale.

Alas, Fred lives in my bag, as he and my long hose do not get along, unless I need him for some drills.

Fred may morph into a foldable as I now have a rear pocket. But don't tell Fred yet, he's resistant to change.

Not much to add except that I don't like dry snorkels for scuba, they trap air and pull on your mask strap.

No snorkels for me. At least not since OW

It must be somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom