Slates and underwater communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Do you use slates to communicate underwater? Or do you just rely on hand signals? My husband and I have communication problems underwater (on land too but that's another issue altogether!). I'll be telling him one thing, and he thinks I'm trying to tell him something else.

I think we have 2 options: 1) use a slate, or 2) practice with each other a set of agreed upon hand signals. How do you guys handle this?

You need to have agreed on hand signals. to get the message across with a slate can require carefully writing something down neatly and readable. Sit down and agree on those few things that you need to communicate, (low on air, look at that pretty fish, lets stop and rest here, LETS SLOW DOWN (one I have to use a lot), lets go back up, I have an issue, I am ok, there is a great white right behind you, etc.). If you want to have sustained discussions underwater and do not want doctor mikes toy, then learn American sign language.

Communicate slowly. I don't care what you are signaling but I find it is a lot easier to follow if the signaling is done slowly and carefully. Not everybody uses the same signals.

Do you use slates to communicate underwater? Or do you just rely on hand signals? My husband and I have communication problems underwater (on land too but that's another issue altogether!). I'll be telling him one thing, and he thinks I'm trying to tell him something else.

I think we have 2 options: 1) use a slate, or 2) practice with each other a set of agreed upon hand signals. How do you guys handle this?
Hand signals are great, particularly after you have agreed upon them AND practiced them. But, I still find them inadequate at times.

Slates are a reasonable option, although they provide limited space for diving - during a dive. I prefer one of the waterproof / write underwater notebooks, such as Wet Notes (https://www.amazon.com/Ritchie-W-50...UTF8&qid=1549309013&sr=1-2&keywords=WET+NOTES), or an equivalent. They fit easily in a pocket, have multiple pages to write on, are lightweight, and reasonably flexible (compared to a rigid slate).

My wife and I dive together regularly, we are pretty good with hand signals, and we still find times when our Wet Notes come in (really) handy.

:rofl3:

Interesting but funny!

I actually bought one of those, gonna try it for the first time in the Keys in two weeks! Maybe it will work.

Of course, for me, one of the reasons I like to scuba dive is to AVOID listening to people... :)

I actually bought one of those, gonna try it for the first time in the Keys in two weeks! Maybe it will work.

Of course, for me, one of the reasons I like to scuba dive is to AVOID listening to people... :)

Please do tell us how well it works (or not). It is inexpensive and definitely an option to consider!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom