New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently have an older computer, an Aeris XR1. I have decided to replace it for many reasons. So, here are my complaints:

1) single button option - not easy to navigate it.

3) hard to see screen - There is no back light.

4) Not user friendly - I have no idea how to swap it over for Nitrox or other gas mixes

So, what would you suggest that solves these issues?

Perhaps also add some info to your OP such as budget, capacity for AI, need for multi-gas aside from nitrox, desired algo (Aeris is DSAT, do you need DSAT ...?), etc, otherwise you'll get devout [insert computer name] users like me telling you a [insert computer name] is the way to go and 5 pages later you're non the wiser :)

Perhaps also add some info to your OP such as budget, capacity for AI, need for multi-gas aside from nitrox, desired algo (Aeris is DSAT, do you need DSAT ...?), etc, otherwise you'll get devout [insert computer name] users like me telling you a [insert computer name] is the way to go and 5 pages later you're non the wiser :)

Cost? As cheap as possible. I paid $500 for the one I have now.

AI? Sure? I don't even know what that is for.

I did state multi gas. I do not know what all is out there besides Nitrox, but I want to make sure I am not limited.

I do not know which Algorithm is better.

Seriously though,
  • if you need backlight, you probably want colour TFT/OLED. That takes you into the $1K price range.
  • There is no "multi-gas": there is recreational nitrox to 50% O2, accelerated decompression on >50% O2, and trimix. The good news is in $1K price range you're probably looking at full trimix capability anyway.
"As cheap as possible" is a 1-2 button recreational nitrox puck with crappy backlight that you don't want to use anyway because how long will that watch battery last?

Cost? As cheap as possible. I paid $500 for the one I have now.

AI? Sure? I don't even know what that is for.

I did state multi gas. I do not know what all is out there besides Nitrox, but I want to make sure I am not limited.

I do not know which Algorithm is better.
If you don't know that AI is Air Integrated, (or even what Air Integrated is) and price is important, then you don't need AI. It is a premium feature at a premium price, especially on wrist computers.

Whether a computer has one, two, or four buttons, you will still have to learn the interface and the menus to be able to change to Nitrox/EAN. No such thing as a Nitrox ON/OFF switch.
So ease of use is a personal preference thing, I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for the "best" number of buttons. There are some 4 button computers that I find seriously non-intuitive and confusing, and some that I figure out very easily. The major advantage of a computer with more than two buttons is that you can usually scroll either up or down, forwards or backwards, rather than just one direction and circle back to where you started.

Most computer backlights for night diving are fairly dim to conserve battery power, and it is difficult to tell they are illuminated without darkening the room. So if you find a screen hard to read during the day, a backlight will probably not affect that.

Sounds like you are looking for a computer in the $300 MSRP range, +/- about $50.

Seriously though,
  • if you need backlight, you probably want colour TFT/OLED. That takes you into the $1K price range.
  • There is no "multi-gas": there is recreational nitrox to 50% O2, accelerated decompression on >50% O2, and trimix. The good news is in $1K price range you're probably looking at full trimix capability anyway.
"As cheap as possible" is a 1-2 button recreational nitrox puck with crappy backlight that you don't want to use anyway because how long will that watch battery last?

If you don't know that AI is Air Integrated, (or even what Air Integrated is) and price is important, then you don't need AI. It is a premium feature at a premium price, especially on wrist computers.

Whether a computer has one, two, or four buttons, you will still have to learn the interface and the menus to be able to change to Nitrox/EAN. No such thing as a Nitrox ON/OFF switch.
So ease of use is a personal preference thing, I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for the "best" number of buttons. There are some 4 button computers that I find seriously non-intuitive and confusing, and some that I figure out very easily. The major advantage of a computer with more than two buttons is that you can usually scroll either up or down, forwards or backwards, rather than just one direction and circle back to where you started.

Most computer backlights for night diving are fairly dim to conserve battery power, and it is difficult to tell they are illuminated without darkening the room. So if you find a screen hard to read during the day, a backlight will probably not affect that.

Sounds like you are looking for a computer in the $300 MSRP range, +/- about $50.

When I say as cheap as possible, I simply mean that I don't want to pay to much for it. If that means that the ones that best suit me start at $1k, then that is as cheap as possible. Cost isn't the biggest feature I need, user friendly is.

Do you notice that number one is hard to navigate, and number 3 is hard to navigate? I want something easy to navigate.
Switch from one gas to another? Easy.
Go back to a dive? Easy.
Read it at depth? Easy.
AI? Sure, it would be nice to only look at one gauge and know what is going on.

I bought mine as it was the cheapest I could find. I never knew what to look for. I now know. So, if that makes it more expensive, but there are different manufacturers that make ones similar, then that is when cost may come into the equation.

shearwater, used if you need to keep the cost down. the petrel 2 or newer add a compass.

bright and legible screen, user changeable AA batteries, simple and intuitive interface for gas switches.

AI would cost a lot more though as you would have to get the perdix ai or teric and a transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom