Trip Report Aggressor 5 - Jan26-Feb2 2019 - Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we did our trip on the Cayman Aggressor IV we were told that they make the crossing to the sister islands approximately 75% of the time, but I have not seen more recent information. You might try checking the Captain's Log posts on Facebook to see if you can find current statistics. Or try calling the Aggressor and asking them

Thanks Kathy.
Before booking I checked the Capt. logs and the weather patterns and the end of February - 1st of March looked pretty favorable. We are only able to do one dive trip this year due to work constraints and want it to be a good one. Weather is always that factor you can't account for, but I'll guess we will see. I'll do a short write up when we get back to give my impressions/opinions on the trip and liveaboard thing.

I think the sentiment is that Cayman local culture is not all that different from the local culture of most US and European cities. There are no grass huts and tribal ceremonies, no stone money or ancient ruins of cities to explore. It is an island with a relatively modern infrastructure and little in the way of visible history to set it apart from any other first world locale. It isn't that there isn't a unique local vibe to enjoy...just that it isn't vastly different from the same kinds of places in other first world countries.

thanks for that great review! I'm spending a week on the A5 in March. i've never done 5 dives in one day - 4 has been my max and i was pretty much exhausted at the end of each day. i hope i can keep up with that schedule, especially day after day. i know i don't have to do all 5 dives, but knowing my luck, the dive i don't do will be the one where i miss something incredible

thanks for that great review! I'm spending a week on the A5 in March. i've never done 5 dives in one day - 4 has been my max and i was pretty much exhausted at the end of each day. i hope i can keep up with that schedule, especially day after day. i know i don't have to do all 5 dives, but knowing my luck, the dive i don't do will be the one where i miss something incredible

it's easy diving, fall out of bed/fall in the pool...

i've never done 5 dives in one day - 4 has been my max and i was pretty much exhausted at the end of each day. i hope i can keep up with that schedule, especially day after day.

As an aging, chunky, out-of-shaper, I'm telling you it can be done with some strategy. I've done 4 dives/day in Cozumel (pretty exhausting), 5/day in Bonaire (can wear a guy out) and 5/day on live-aboards (yeah, tiring). To keep up the pace...

1.) Whenever you get some time, head to the top deck and crash on a lounger. Doze enough to rest, but not sleep through ringing the bell to announce the next dive (or sleep through a meal!). Naps between events are important.

If I'm not finning or chewing, why am I awake again?

2.) Shower off at the back of the boat after your dive; no need to go back to the room multiple times/day.

3.) After a dive and rinsing off, there will be food - snack, meal, etc..., and some down time when the dive deck is pretty empty. That's when you go grab the nitrox analyzer and analyze your tank (filled by now at your station) and log your reading. No competition, easy-peasy.

4.) Remember that once your BCD is strapped to your tank, that's it till the end of the week. Connecting your regulator 1st stage to dive, then disconnecting after the dive for tank refill, is about it.

5.) I find a front zip short much easier to get into, and independently, than a full wetsuit. Your mileage may vary; the full suit provides more protection (e.g.: against jelly fish on some night dives).

Richard.

it's easy diving, fall out of bed/fall in the pool...

Exactly right. I actually enjoy 4-5 dives a day, particularly in calm reef conditions like those in GC. Just be aware that as the week goes on, your core body temperature will drop from all the immersion. That's when the hot showers on the stern start feeling AMAZING! :)

As an aging, chunky, out-of-shaper, I'm telling you it can be done with some strategy. I've done 4 dives/day in Cozumel (pretty exhausting), 5/day in Bonaire (can wear a guy out) and 5/day on live-aboards (yeah, tiring). To keep up the pace...

1.) Whenever you get some time, head to the top deck and crash on a lounger. Doze enough to rest, but not sleep through ringing the bell to announce the next dive (or sleep through a meal!). Naps between events are important.

If I'm not finning or chewing, why am I awake again?

2.) Shower off at the back of the boat after your dive; no need to go back to the room multiple times/day.

3.) After a dive and rinsing off, there will be food - snack, meal, etc..., and some down time when the dive deck is pretty empty. That's when you go grab the nitrox analyzer and analyze your tank (filled by now at your station) and log your reading. No competition, easy-peasy.

4.) Remember that once your BCD is strapped to your tank, that's it till the end of the week. Connecting your regulator 1st stage to dive, then disconnecting after the dive for tank refill, is about it.

5.) I find a front zip short much easier to get into, and independently, than a full wetsuit. Your mileage may vary; the full suit provides more protection (e.g.: against jelly fish on some night dives).

Richard.

1) Naps are super important, especially the siesta between lunch and the 1st afternoon dive. Set an alarm on your cell 5 minutes before the scheduled bell and crash out!

2) Take a full shower on the stern between every dive (they provide body wash, shampoo, and conditioner). You'll be surprised how better you will feel (I know I was).

3) Totally agree! 20 mins before dive bell, hardly anyone is on dive deck. Then again, most people on liveaboards are relaxed, so don't feel pressure. If you are stressed pre-dive, you are doing it wrong.

4) This was one of those small things I prefer about liveaboards instead of day-boats: not having to switch out tanks from my BC. My water softened hands ALWAYS get chopped up from the metal cam lock.

5) Your mileage may vary indeed! I got trapped in my front zip shorty when I was test fitting it at home. I finally had to cut myself out with shears! I thought my shorty would sufficient all week. I discovered that with the number of dives being done in 81F water, I was glad to have my full length 3mm.

I don't care for sitting around in a wet/damp swimsuit all day. You won't need many clothes on a LOB but I think that it is worthwhile to bring 3 swimsuits and a couple of light-weight beach cover-ups.

After a dive I like to head to the cabin for a quick shower in the ensuite bathroom, dry off and put on a dry swimsuit and a cover-up, hang up the wet items to dry, and head topside to relax until it's time the next dive or meal.

The Cayman Aggressor V will be featured in a Born to Explore episode on PBS in March, see the ad below:

AggressorCaymanV_PBS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom