SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@amoses For Coz I like this DSMB. It's one of the smaller ones I could find with an OPV. Since you'll be using it in benign conditions and the boat will already be looking for you, you can get away with the small size which makes it easy to shoot and stow away. Like the others say, a spool works fine. I notice you're diving with Tres P (saw you listed in the June roll call). Not only is it nice to shoot if you come up early, it's good for extending your dives as well. As you probably already know, this OP will let you dive your tank. So as long as you have the gas they don't mind you extending your dives after others go up. Coz is a great place to give your "bag" a workout. Have fun. :)

Ok, now I have the giggles.... In fairness, I think we've all been surprised by the effects of a small quantity of air at depth.

That was me the first time I tried to deploy an SMB from a finger spool. My wife nearly drowned laughing at the spectacle.

I got better. :D

Whenever I go to Cozumel, I always deploy my buoy very early in the trip just to make sure I remember how.

Shouldn't this be in the basic scibs thread?

Practice, practice and.... I do at the beginning of each dive trip. I can easily screw it up if not paying attention or forgetting a step. Also, start at 30-35 feet. It's amazing how fast you get to the surface if you use the reg method and don't let go quick enough. Have fun practicing...it is fun. And enjoy Coz!!

I have always relied on the DM to deploy the SMB at the end of the dive. Last year I noticed that anytime someone went up early the DM had to deploy the SMB for them, then try and complete the dive with everyone else while still messing with the SMB. So, I decided I should get my own setup. I do always carry an SMB, but no reel. I started to look at reels and found a huge range in pricing and types. Can I get some advice on what I should get and how much I should spend on this? I guess I will have to learn how to deploy it properly this year also, but I am sure the dive op will be happy to help me with that, so that the DM will have one less person to worry about, if I need to come up early for some reason.

I have been looking at this one. The pouch for the spool is sown on to the DSMB comes with a spool and a double ender

What @DFDubb said, just a cheap finger reel (H2O Dive Reel), but you should practice.
This woman does an amazing job in a strong current.
For me, I do it exactly opposite. I put my back to the current and then deploy. That way the line and marker run in front of me and don't go behind me; I can see exactly where they are going and avoid entanglements.

For me, I do it exactly opposite. I put my back to the current and then deploy. That way the line and marker run in front of me and don't go behind me; I can see exactly where they are going and avoid entanglements.

I agree with you. I don't want the line getting caught on my valves and want to be able to see that it isn't on other divers as well.

Not my idea on the set-up, but it's worked great for me. I prefer to have the dsmb attached to the line on the spool, it's really quick and simple to deploy, but very secure at the same time. With this just un-clip the bolt snap, pull the bungee cord over the snap, and it's ready to go...
20180924_175355.jpg
20180924_175412.jpg
20180924_175453.jpg

Recommend practicing deployment in a pool. If you have an open bottom DMSB, tie the dsmb in a knot about halfway down its length and tie and extra piece of line to the tip of it. The knot will reduce the volume of the DSMB and the line at the top will allow you to haul it down so you can reset and redeploy without having to surface each time. Deploy it 4 or 5 times (or until proficient) while kneeling on the bottom and then do it while hovering with neutral buoyancy.

When you get to the point that you are ready to deploy it in open water, you may find that it is easier to deploy at 10m+ (33ft+) as your buoyancy should be more stable at 10m and below than it is above that point in the water column. Eventually it won't matter but starting it could ease some frustration and task loading.

-Z

How is that? The current is moving you as well; everything is moving at the same speed.

Back
Top Bottom